Question about putting OSX 10.4 on old iMac G3

Reaction score
Ok, I have had a couple of old macs sitting around.

Both are iMac G3's:
1) 400 Mhz
1) 500 Mhz

One is running OSX 10.3 and the other is running OS9.

The one running OS9 has a bigger hard drive, faster processor, and a CD burner, but the problem is OS9 which = no support.

So here is my question. Is there anyway to burn an OSX disc from my eMac to put it onto my iMac G3? It's an old computer for my little brother to go to Mac and I would like to put it on there for him.

I'm not into piracy. I buy my cd's from iTunes, not illegally. It is stealing and it is wrong. It's like the artist or programmer is working for nothing if you getting into that mess. It's just wrong to do that to someone.

But anyways, if anyone could help me out with a solution I would greatly appreciate it. I'm gonna buy Leopard for my eMac, but since the other mac is kinda old I didn't know what I could do for it kinda cheap.

Thanks again!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Are you looking to put Tiger or Panther (10.3) on the 500GHz iMac G3?

My suggestion is to source a Tiger/Panther disc from eBay or some similar place and look for the Full Retail Version of Tiger and not an upgrade disc. You could also look out for an iLife '06 or '08 disc too.

Make sure you have 9.2.2 on the Mac in question (free online upgrade) and the correct Firmware is installed before you upgrade to Panther/Tiger.

You'll need a minimum of 512mb RAM for Tiger and also possibly a 3rd party program called XPostFacto.

I hope I've given you the info you wanted and feel free to ask any other questions ...

Reaction score
did you upgrade the emac to 10.4 or did it come with it? If you upgraded, then when you upgrade to 10.5 you'll have an unused copy of 10.4. You can use this disc to install on the imac. If it came with 10.4, disregard the rest of this comment. If the imac doesn't have a DVD READING DRIVE, then you should boot the emac into target mode and connect the computers to each other using a firewire cable. then the emac's disc drive will work for the imac.

Ask a Question