Question about iTunes

Reaction score
I have a 160 GB external HD (USB2.0) with a whole lot (a thousand) of MP3 tunes.

Can I put a copy of the iTunes application on the external disk and use it that way? Or do I have to keep iTunes on my boot disk?

Ditto iPhoto -- can I put a copy of the iPhoto app on the external disk?

Thanks!

earle

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Earle,

In iTunes Preferences you can select a 'different location' for your iTunes Music...

Unless I have misunderstood you...

If this is a matter of space...you can go to iTunes and select an external drive as the 'storage folder' for your iTunes music.

Then all the songs would 'live' on the external drive.

So iTunes itself would stay on your Mac...but it would know that the files are on the external drive.

It is similar for iPhoto...got to the Advanced tab in the preferences and deselect the importing button !

So now when you import photos from an external drive they are 'added' into the iPhoto 'viewer' but not 'physically' copied to your iPhoto drive on your internal drive...

I had a similar issue with my Wifes iBook (G3 dual USB), she was running out of space for her music and photos...so the choices were upgrade the internal drive or use an external drive or if you have an old Mac lying around you can turn that into a "Photo and iTunes" server...(for the record, I took the iBook to bits and added in a new drive...not a nice procedure !)

To setup an old Mac as a server...stick a copy of iTunes on your old Mac, with a large external drive, import all you songs onto this Mac, then in iTunes preferences select sharing...now on you're other Mac you should have a "Earles Shared Music" which can access from other Macs on your network !

Exactly the same is true for iPhoto, you can have the "Photos" shared across the network if you want...iPhoto Preferences 'Share my Photos'...

What ever you decide please make sure you have a good backup of your Photo's and Music before moving it around !

regards

Ric

Ask a Question