Pronto Video Converter

Reaction score
I don't know how I did this, but apparently I did something to my computer (Mac Mini, late 2009, OS X 10.11.5) so that almost every link I click on, instead of taking me to that page I am instead taken to 'home.prontovideoconverter,com' and I am from there unable to do anything other than close the browser.

I am pretty much a novice, so any help offered needs to be 'step-by-step.' Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
If it's Safari go to Safari ~> Reset Safari … this will bring up a window with choices. It's safe to select all but if "Clear Website Data" is ticked this will log you out of all websites for this browser. So make sure you know your username/password etc. Safari will reboot itself & test out if this issue persists. You can reset your homepage in Safari ~> Preferences ~> General ~> Homepage … if you navigate to your homepage of choice & click 'Set to Current Page' then in a perfect world this should override prontovideoconverter.com …. any further questions fire away or if any of the above is not clear feel free to ask for further clarification.

Reaction score
If it's Safari go to Safari ~> Reset Safari … this will bring up a window with choices. It's safe to select all but if "Clear Website Data" is ticked this will log you out of all websites for this browser. So make sure you know your username/password etc. Safari will reboot itself & test out if this issue persists. You can reset your homepage in Safari ~> Preferences ~> General ~> Homepage … if you navigate to your homepage of choice & click 'Set to Current Page' then in a perfect world this should override prontovideoconverter.com …. any further questions fire away or if any of the above is not clear feel free to ask for further clarification.
I went to Safari but there is no 'Reset Safari' in the drop down menu. My version of Safari is 9.1.1. I tried Clearing the History, but that did not help.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
  • Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
  • Locate Pronto Video Converter or Genieo, click on Remove or Uninstall.
  • Quit Safari
  • Navigate to the location given below and move the item to the Trash.
/Applications/ProntoVideoConverter.app
  • If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries.
  • Restart your Mac

Reaction score
  • Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
  • Locate Pronto Video Converter or Genieo, click on Remove or Uninstall.
  • Quit Safari
  • Navigate to the location given below and move the item to the Trash.
  • If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries.
  • Restart your Mac
I uninstalled the Pronto Video Converter as per your instructions. Under Applications, I could find nothing that seemed related to that Converter. Since I am unfamiliar with many of the applications, I am hesitant to use that as a criteria for me to remove something. At any rate, I quit and restarted Safari and clicked on a link contained in an email and it took me to the correct place. Thus removing the Converter from the Preferences appears to have been sufficient. I very much appreciate you taking the time to talk me through this; it is very kind of you.

Ask a Question