Power Mac 9600/300

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My power mac 9600 running OS 7.6.1 doesn't have an internet connection and I'm trying to load 4D [mac] software (which is supported by OS 7.6.1). I downloaded the mac software in .hqx files off of the internet using a PC, burned them to a disk and tried running it on the mac but it didn't work. The mac doesn't have Stuffit, (and Stuffit only comes in .hqx files off of the internet). So I loaded the PC version of Stuffit on my PC, unzipped it and burned it to a disk, tried loading it on the mac and it still doesn't work. I then emailed the .hqx to a buddy who had Stuffit on his mac and he emailed the unzipped file back to me, I tried loading it on the mac and it still didn't work.

The OS doesn't recognize any of the file types that I'm trying to load. It asks me what application I would like to open the file with, when hypothetically the file should be an executable. It doesn't know what to do with .hqx or .sit or .sea, nor does it know what should be the actual executable file.

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Thoughts?

Thanks,
- Eric

Reaction score
The best approach for getting an as-new-as-possible version of stuffit on an old mac (with or without internet connection) seems to be:
1. Find an old version of stuffit on an old Mac CD (either the system CD, a CD from some old computer magazine, or an internet access CD with mac software usually has it)
2. Find the newest version of stuffit available for the system (probably 5.1.3 as Cory said)
3. unpack the newer version using the older version.

Warning, technical info/rant:
The reason the mac doesn't understand what to do with the files is because they have passed through Windows, UNIX or any other non-mac system in a non-compressed format (macs, especially before OS X, uses special hidden resource files to describe each file [and needs them to know which program created it and what type it is, including if the file is a program itself] and moves and copies them with the original file, other systems don't see that connection and thus do not keep them together, when the file gets back to the mac without those resource files [or the connection severed by brutish systems] the mac no longer recognises the files), which is why you need some mac cd with stuffit on it to begin with, then open the .hqx, .sit, or .sea files from within stuffit/stuffit expander to unpack the compressed files (double-clicking most probably won't work, because of the severed tie to the resource file).

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I will try to dig up the old CD's and try your suggestions. I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks for the help.

- Eric

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I found the "Apple Macintosh CD" which had the system Software and other programs but it didn't have Stuffit on it. Nor did the "Internet Connection Kit" CD. Do you guys have an idea of where I could procure a CD with an OS 7.6.1 compatible version of Stuffit on it?

Or would it not be filed under Stuffit? Would it have been called anything else?

Thanks,
- Eric

Ask a Question