Open Any File

Reaction score
I downloaded a program "open any file" from the Apple Store. I tried it on several files and rather than opening them it suggested other programs. It did this many times before I decided to uninstall it. My 2012 iMac said that the file could not be uninstalled because it had open programs attached. I rt. clicked on the app and it had 6 programs attached. As one of the new Macintosh wannabe'z and a Windows user, I am not sure how to handle this problem. I have looked on line and tried several options to remove 'open any file'. I have contacted the owners by e-mail- they have ignored me for 4 days. If you are familiar with this application please help. Thanks

Reaction score
How did you try to uninstall the program?

What you could try is to download the excellent freeware program AppCleaner, available form here:

https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

That program will find most (maybe all?) of the files/documents, etc. associated with the program (along, of course, with the program itself. For the remainder of the files, you can do a search of your Mac, using the app's name as the search term. The Mac OS comes with Spotlight, which is fine for searches, but I prefer the excellent freeware program EasyFind, available from here:

https://www.devontechnologies.com/products/freeware.html

Reaction score
Malwarebytes quarantined the app. and I deleted what was in the quarantine; However, it still occasionally shows up in the dock. You can't drag it to trash as now it can't be dragged anywhere.

Reaction score
OK, here are a couple of more things you can try:

1. Download and run the excellent virus program ClamXAv, available from here:

https://www.clamxav.com/

It does a more thorough job than Malwarebytes. When you first launch it, make sure to first download the latest Virus Definitions. Then, when it offers you various "levels" to do the scan, it might be best if you select the "highest" level on the list, ie, most likely your entire internal drive. That will take some time, but it would be the best (plus it might find other "nefarious" stuff).

2. As I mentioned above, you can do a search of your internal drive using the App name. Again, EasyFind would be my choice (and I use it).

Reaction score
Thanks, I followed your instructions and all appears well. ClamXAv did find 1 trojan in 4 different files. It also found 3 malware that Malwarebytes missed. I remember using Clamav in one of the linux distress. Hey have a nice day.

Reaction score
Cool. That's twice now in the last couple of days that ClamXAV came to the rescue.

Ask a Question