OMG! Random Cat Sounds?

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm brand new here and am not very technical. I have a MacBook Pro, MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012),
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB.

This issue started today. Every 8 minutes, a random cat sound (it changes every time) plays. If the volume is down or muted, it will have automatically overridden that and the cat noise plays loud.

Nothing shows in activity monitor of any note.
No notifications are coming through (mail, iMessage, iCal, etc) are not doing anything.
Safari can be quit.
I have restarted and made sure nothing is opening on the startup that shouldn't be.

I have NO IDEA what to do. I think someone at work played a prank on me but this is crazy - I can't get the sound to stop - every 8 minutes it goes off. I have put the clock forward by 8 mins to check and it does it on the 8 minute mark!

Someone please, please help!!! (I don't even like cats very much)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sounds to me like there might be a prank AppleScript/Automator action installed somewhere.

-Have you tried watching in Activity Monitor every 8 mins to see what may be triggering it?
-Have a look in Macintosh HD > Library > LaunchDaemons and see if there are any unfamiliar plist or "cat" related files.

C

Ask a Question