not showing any networks to connect to

Reaction score
Howdy!

Brand new to MAC, have a PC laptop that works with my wireless router. Trying to hook it up to my mac OSX but when I go to Network Diagnostics and try to have it locate the networks it finds none. Not even neighbor networks. I have the WI-FI turned on even though it doesn't seen to want to stay on. The router has an IP web address to go to but that does not work either.
I bought this computer used a couple of years ago and haven't needed it for internet until now, could there be some kind of hardware I could be missing?
Can someone point me in the right direction to getting this working?

Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
-What version of OS X?
-What brand/model router? Is it from your Internet provider?
-What message(s) does Network Diagnostics give?
-Is Wi-Fi turning itself off?

C

Reaction score
It's a power mac, 10.8.4
THe router is a DIR6267 D-Link, it is not from my provider. Network diagnostic gives no message, it just keeps searching and finding nothing.
Everytime I run the diagnostics it makes me turn on the Wi-Fi so I guess it's turning it off.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...

Unfortunately, Power Macs, which are PowerPC based, only support up to Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8.

-Are you sure it's a Power Mac, not a Mac Pro?
-Can you confirm it is Mac OS X 10.8.4?

To get the exact model and version of OS X:

Find your Mac's serial number in About This Mac or System Information

If it is a Power Mac or Mac Pro, some of them didn't come with an AirPort card, so that may be part of the problem.

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK.

Mac Pro's before 2010 didn't come with AirPort cards installed, they were an option. If your Mac Pro is a 1,1 thru 4,1, then it was optional. If it is a 5,1 or the new cylindrical one, then it was built-in. In the link I gave above, it tells how to find the model number in  > About This Mac > More Info.

Also, in System Info, under Network, you can see if there is an AirPort Card installed under the Wi-Fi section.

C

Ask a Question