Non techie newbie - NTFS - 3G could not mount issue

NDS

Reaction score
Hi
I have a mac air and I have just unpacked a external HDD to try and back up my pc. I thought this would be plug and play and I could then tell it to use time capsule and I would be right, but when I plug in I get the following error, which being non techie makes no sense to me, so was wondering if anyone could advise me what to do please. I have googled NTFS and it mentions windows extensively and offers me downloads for mac, but now confused and hope someone can give me a simple explanation - thanks

NTFS-3G

NTFS-3G could not mount /dev/disk1s1

at /Volumes/Seagate Backup Plus Drive because the

following problem occurred:

dyld:Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libfuse.

2.dylib

Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g

Reason: image not found

Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

First question is which OS X are you running because Lion as with previous versions of OS X will read from but not write to an NTFS formatted drive.

If this is just for a Mac then format the drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

NDS

Reaction score
Thank you for your welcome and reply.
Ok - I am not very techie - and am running mountain lion still, and was thinking to upgrade but wanted to back up my pc first.
What is the NFTS drive - is it something I would of inadvertently loaded myself or is it something that comes as standard?
Is it something I should remove and reload?
I have a seagate backup disk and though I could just plug it in tell it to work with time machine, and off it went - is this not the case?
Thanks very much

Reaction score
Hi,

NTFS is a windows format, you need to reformat the external drive as I said previously.
To save a long post have a look here at the Apple support page, maybe print it first then just follow the guide. Don't worry about the title and Apature.;)
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3509

Let us know how it goes,

NDS

Reaction score
Thank you for your help - much appreciated. I have eventually figured out that something that use to run on windows has been plugged into the mac, which has caused a partial download of the NTFS - which has not been used, so I un-installed this and then my external seagate HDD works perfectly and formatted to time machine and first backup now complete - phew! Thanks

Ask a Question