New Printer for OSX 10.4.3

Reaction score
Greetings!

I'm about to replace my old Epson Stylus Photo 780 with a new photo printer. The Epson works well (in System 9) but it's very slow. The picture quality is great.

I have tried this printer with the Epson GIMPS/CUPS drivers that come in Sys X 10.4.3 but they are not nearly as good as the original System 9 drivers that came with the printer. Unfortunately this driver will not run in "Classic" mode -- I have to devote a partition to Sys 9.2.2 and boot up there every time I want to print.

For example -- the Epson drivers have paper size selection that includes all of the Epson papers and sizes, including the "no-perforations 4X6 Premium Glossy Photo Paper".

Using the Sys X driver, I can't do borderless printing.

What is the best photo printer for me? I will always be running the latest Mac System software. Is a Canon or HP a better bet for me? I want high picture quality and some reasonable speed.

Many thanks!

earle (new to Mac-help)

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I currently have a Epson PictureMate (the Wifes really !) and a HP Deskjet 5740.

The PictureMate I find great for photo printing, just one size, 4 x 6, no trimming just print and go.

The paper stock and inks aren't particularly cheap, but not many are !

I like the convenience of the PictureMate, it has the Bluetooth adapter with it, so any pics on my Wife's phone can be printed out too ! It sits on shelf in the kitchen plugged into an Airport Extreme. We can then print either via the Wireless network, or via the Bluetooth network.

No problems with it. Works well with 10.3 and 10.4

The HP was bought in a hurry when a pipe burst and gave the printer in the room below a shower ! It was bought because it was the 'cheapest I could get instantly, more for business letter printing etc.

But since using it on a regular basis, it is a very good little edge to edge Photo printer. The replacement inks aren't to costly either.

Most new printers now 'should' work with Tiger, but it all depends on what you want. I tend to check the Ink cost's along with what the printer will do, sometimes it's worth spending a bit extra on a printer if you get better ink usage and cartridge price over the printers life.

This HP printer is really classed as an 'inkjet' printer and not a photo printer.

Are there any that you particularly like ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks Ric. In looking into this photo-printer situation, I have found a good deal on the HP PhotoSmart 8450, which sells for about $230. I can get one for $128 with free shipping.

The reviews are good.

For my usual b/w text printing, I have an HP LaserJet 1320, which is great.

Thanks again,

earle

Ric

Reaction score
Hi earle,

that looks a good buy...

...the only thing I can't find out is how many inks do you have to 'have' in it. I've just read a couple of reviews and it seems to be good.

Having been in print and pre-press for a long time I am always a bit sceptical about 6, 7 and 8 colour ink jet style photo printers. I had a 6 colour one once and to be honest the printouts weren't that better for having the extra two inks (a light cyan and a light magenta from memory) it just seemed another way to extract a bit more money out of me...

...for me it would depend on how many inks had to be in it for it to get a good result, I can see in one review that it can have a 'grey' ink cartridge but I haven't as yet found out what the other colours are.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question