Reaction score
I am using:

MacBook Pro Silver

macOS. Sierra Version 10.12.3

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)

Processor: 2.6 GHz. Intel Core i7

Memory: 16 GB 2133 MHz. LPDDR3

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

When the ATT Tech installed the Uverse system here, he set the router up for WiFi for the computer. Now I want to switch it over to a direct connection: Ethernet. I purchased an adapter cable, and a USB 2.0 to Ethernet Adapter, and installed the driver on the computer from the CD. My new computer didn't have a CD drive, so I used my older MacBook Pro that does have a CD drive to move the contents onto a flash drive, and then move it onto my new computer.

On the HELP menu under Ethernet. the instructions read:

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Network.

Select Ethernet in the list on the left.

There is no Ethernet there to select. Following is a view of the selection:

http://oi68.tinypic.com/2s7xsns.jpg

I'm not familiar with the others, except the WiFi.

Reaction score
Not sure if this will help, but here is my setup.

First, I have 2 Macs, both running with the latest version of Sierra, OS 10.12.6. One is a late 2012 Mac Mini, and that is the machine my "hard wired" Ethernet is connected to. My other Mac is a mid 2013 13" MacBook Air, located downstairs. My ISP is Comcast, and I have (and need) two "devices": I have an Arris Touchstone TM722 Telephony Modem (besides Internet, I have Landline Phone Service from Comcast). I also have a Netgear WNR 3500U/WNR3500L RangeMax Wireless-N Gigabit Router. I have an Ethernet Cable running from the Ethernet Port on my Mac Mini to one of the four Gigabit Ethernet Ports on the router, and then another Ethernet Cable running from Cable/DSL port on the router to the Ethernet Port on the Arris Telephony Modem. Going through System Preferences, then Network on my Mac Mini, a selection for Ethernet shows up (as expected, as my Mac Mini has an Ethernet connection to the router and then the Telephony Modem). There is also a selection for Wi-Fi, which says "Connected". For the MacBook Air, on the Network "screen", it does not show a choice of Ethernet, but Wi-Fi. Again makes sense, given that my MacBook Air is not connected to the Internet via an Ethernet cable.

So, I guess a somewhat "basic" question is do you have an Ethernet cable running from your Ethernet port on the MacBook Pro to the AT&T "device"?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-What brand/model is the USB to Ethernet adapter? Did you mean USB-C to Ethernet and not USB 2.0 to Ethernet, as your MBP doesn't have a standard USB port?
-What do you mean by "I purchased an adapter cable", do you mean an Ethernet cable?
-Is the U-verse router setup properly - does it have WAN and LAN Ethernet ports? Picture maybe?

C

Reaction score
Oops! I made a faux pas above: your MacBook Pro does not have an Ethernet port. So Cory's excellent questions (as usual!) are very, very pertinent.

Last edited:

Ask a Question