My Mac is slowing down? How do i speed it up?

Reaction score
I have an I-Mac
OS 10.3.9
800 MHz Power PC G4
1 GB SCRAM
60 GB Hard drive with 22.5 GB available

It is very, very slow, very noticable, when booting up, but also, when trying to share files? I know it shouldn't be soooo slow. Help, please?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

sorry for the delay...

Before we suggest anything, is all your important stuff backed up ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Every Friday about 5 PM a box asks permission to back up files. I allow it, but truthfully, when I bought the computer, second hand, it was set up to do that. I really wouldn't know where to find those backed up files.

Reaction score
could be that the mac is getting bogged down with all these back ups
never the less for how long do you had the mac ?
and i take it you never reinstalled mac os ?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I would be a little concerned...as bluekatt asks "...you have never reinstalled?"

Was this Mac from a familly member ? If not then I would be tempted to reinstall the OS. So that you know its fresh !

Where do the backups go ?

Do you have the install disks? If so we can talk you through doing an Archive and Install...

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi alsadr hope you are well,

I changed the link to the Apple one...you know it's a good one then !

Abolonie: before doing the Broadband tuner let us know if you want to do the Archive and Install...this will probably solve most of your problems.

The Broadband Tuner is for high latency connections and can sometimes slow it down even more...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I have an I-Mac
OS 10.3.9
800 MHz Power PC G4
1 GB SCRAM
60 GB Hard drive with 22.5 GB available

It is very, very slow, very noticable, when booting up, but also, when trying to share files? I know it shouldn't be soooo slow. Help, please?

As well as the backups causing a slow-down issue, I am wondering if you clean out your cache files regularily? If not, you need to do this with a program like OnyX

After you have done that, drive optimization/repairing permissions may be of benefit too. If you need any information on how to run OnyX, then please post and let us know :)

Ask a Question