My iTunes window doesn't remember its position

Reaction score
For a week now, when I start iTunes in my 2nd display, the window is smaller than I like. It is easy enough to adjust, but I'm wanting to figure out what happened. All of my software is current.

This happened after I was trying to load some CD-G disks which opened up two disks for one disk reader. I couldn't close them and finally had to turn off my iMac. I did run Disk Utility first aid, and rebooted to safe mode. I have iTunes open at startup.

When I booted to safe mode, it didn't give me an option to tell my 2nd monitor that my display is 90% moved.

I suspect there might be a file somewhere that stores my saved position.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry we missed this post.

-Which version of OS X?
-Are you using Mission Control/Spaces to arrange your application windows and desktops?

Maybe the layout got corrupted during the forced shutdown?

C

Reaction score
macOS High Sierra 10.13.3. That's what I believe. I suspect there's a file somewhere that stores the layout, and that file got corrupted during the forced shutdown. That's why I ran First Aid. But I have no idea where that file is, nor what to do next.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It could be a corrupted preference list (plist) file, but we should try other things before navigating into hidden folders.

Check in  > System Preferences... > Mission Control and see what your settings are.

C

Reaction score
I really believe it is a corrupted plist file.
Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 9.50.57 AM.jpg

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

-If you have the external display connected, you could try enabling then disabling mirroring:  > System Preferences... > Displays > Arrangement > Mirror Displays.
-You could also try disabling then enabling Displays have separate Spaces

Those could reset the plist file.

C

Reaction score
I turned mirror displaying on then off then rebooted - and iTunes opened correctly!!!!! Thanks.

Some background that may or may not be interesting.
A couple of weeks ago I got a Karaoke playing program (kJams). I tested it by taking my computer downstairs where we would be playing it every 4 weeks in my senior-living community. I got a cord connecting my Mac to HDMI, and another one connecting my Mac to the existing Karaoke machine's audio-in. I turned my 2nd display to normal landscape mode (Which I won't do this Tuesday evening for the "real" run), and dragged the new display over that so that the TV and my 2nd monitor showed the same thing. Later on I got my Mac stuck when one of the CD-G in my USB SuperDrive showed up as two drives on Finder and I couldn't close them nor reboot except by pushing the button. This is what I figured stuck the .plist file. But what I did before may have contributed.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It is interesting. I have never heard of that software, but sounds like a fun time for all!

I think the hard shut down is what corrupted the file and caused the issue.

Glad it's fixed.

C

Ask a Question