MIGRATION to new MacBook Pro from MacBook Air ...

Reaction score
Hello !!

I purchased a new MacBook Pro for the 2016 Christmas Holiday, and have one question about what to do next ...

I want to have all of my settings, data, pictures, etc transferred from my current MacBook Air (which I will eventually return for a refund certificate to Apple Computer) ... to my new MacBook Pro ...

I have heard about the process of "MIGRATING" the info and settings from my old computer to my new one - but I have never done this, and KNOW NOTHING about the migrating process and what I am to do to have successful transfers ...

I would love to have some directions, hints, videos, etc on the migration process - I do not know anything
about this process !! ...

Thank you to everyone !! ... this is also the first time that I have posted as a new thread - I have always read other threads, but I am trying to post my own now ... Hope I did it correctly !! ...

Thank you, again !!

William N. Benoit
(e-mail address removed)

Reaction score
The first question is, is everything you want (OS, Apps, settings, etc.) "as is" on the MacBook Air?

Secondly, what OS did your new machine come with? And what OS are/were you using with your MacBook Air? If those two OSs are different, another critical item you need to let us know about is are you using any third party applications on your MacBook Air that you want?

Third, do you have an external drive, and if so, have you been making any kinds of backups to it?

Fourth, have you been doing regular disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs on your MacBook Air?

There are a couple of ways to go about this, but having answers to those questions will help a lot.

Reaction score
The first question is, is everything you want (OS, Apps, settings, etc.) "as is" on the MacBook Air?

Secondly, what OS did your new machine come with? And what OS are/were you using with your MacBook Air? If those two OSs are different, another critical item you need to let us know about is are you using any third party applications on your MacBook Air that you want?

Third, do you have an external drive, and if so, have you been making any kinds of backups to it?

Fourth, have you been doing regular disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs on your MacBook Air?

There are a couple of ways to go about this, but having answers to those questions will help a lot.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !! ... I will discuss your questions with my wife and add the answers that you need this evening

Reaction score
Sounds good. Just to let you know, the "easiest" way to do this will be to use a backup/cloning program like SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner. I use SuperDuper!, it works flawlessly, and I swear by it! But, will need to see your answers to the questions I mentioned, as you will, most likely, first have some work to do with your MacBook Air before the migration can be completed.

Reaction score
THANK YOU VERY MUCH - especially for the programs to use - I appreciate your help !!

William N. Benoit
(e-mail address removed)

Reaction score
THANK YOU VERY MUCH !! ... I will discuss your questions with my wife and add the answers that you need this evening

Thank you !! ...

Everything that I want is "as is" on the MacBook Air ...

My new machine came with macOS Sierra ... My MacBook Air is also macOS Sierra ...

I have NO external drive ...

I have NOT BEEN doing regular disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs on my MacBook Air ...

Reaction score
First, are the two versions of Sierra the same? The latest version of Sierra is OS 10.12.2, and you can get the Combo Updater from here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1900?locale=en_US

Second, it's not good that you have not been making any backups, nor neglecting to do any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs. Owning and maintaining a computer requires the same diligence as owning and maintaining an automobile.

Third, without having an external drive, this transfer has some risk. If you had an external drive, the risk would be MUCH, MUCH lower. And, backups need to be part of your plan going forward.

So, here is what you need to let me know further:

1. Can you purchase an external drive now, before beginning this project?

2. Especially if you don't purchase an external drive, I need to know the exact models for both machines. That is, what exact MacBook Pro model do you have, and what exact MacBook Air model do you have? The reason for that is the need to know the kinds of ports each machine has. However, I have to emphasize again that doing this transfer without an external drive has some risk. Also, I cannot emphasize enough the need for on going disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, and backups to an external device. You are asking for trouble if you neglect to do both of those.

Reaction score
Thank you very much - I will get the information to you shortly !! ...

Thank you again !!

William N. Benoit

Reaction score
Thank you again -
Thank you very much - I will get the information to you shortly !! ...

Thank you again !!

William N. Benoit
I need to "do some research " - have not even turned on my new Computer !! ...

Ask a Question