MacBookPro 2010 crashing

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an old MacBookPro 6 GB RAM - all standard Mac - no external upgrades nor windows installed.
El Capitan.
I experience a crashing system sometimes 4 times a day, sometimes it is gone for days.
I noticed the other similar post but that is about running windows.
I deactivated all loading utilities - no change. I have been watching for a week if I can see a pattern in the crashes (only when a certain program is running etc) but can't find any.
Only options I see left: it is a hardware problem occurring randomly or i should do a complete re-install (which is an awful lot of work - has never been done in 6 years to my shame).
But before I do that, cn anybody see anything in this crash report that would maybe give me some idea where to continue searching? Crash report attached. Thanks!

Attachments

• CrashreportMAC.pdf
    52.5 KB · Views: 325

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-From your panic log, it shows your Mac as a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010). Is that correct?
-Do you have Apple or third-party RAM installed? It shows them as a 2 GB and a 4 GB DIMM, correct?
-Do you ever have a black screen or distorted video as well? The crashing could be due to this: MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) intermittent black screen or loss of video Quality Program has ended
-Your panic report also references AppleGraphicsControl- 3.12.8/src/AppleMuxControl/kext/GPUPanic.cpp:127, which could also be related to the above Quality Program.

C

Reaction score
hi! thanks for your prompt reply.
yes what you assume about the memory is corect.
it is hard to say anything else because the page- link you gave says that the eligibility has ended and not much more.

but i have never experienced loss of display or something that i could link to what you said even ypu mean it shoupd have happened while watching a movoe e. g.
what happens is that i am at work and suddenly screen is black.. like somebody pulled the power cord on a tv. then after some time the mac page "your computer was restarted because of a problem" shows.

is there no test program for a graphics adapter (?) if that's where the problem might be? can google for one but i am not sure if my assumption is correct.

thanks mike

Reaction score
Hi,

First thing I would to is run Disk utility - repair permissions, run it two or tree times until all is good.

Reaction score
Hi,

First thing I would to is run Disk utility - repair permissions, run it two or tree times until all is good.

Excellent suggestion, and what you really need to do is run Disk Utility externally, so that it can also repair your disk, both at the Volume and Partition levels.

Reaction score
thanks oldscribe and honestone - will try the suggestions. found already how to run it externally. your help greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
thanks oldscribe and honestone - will try the suggestions. found already how to run it externally. your help greatly appreciated!

Actually, the option to Repair Permissions is no longer available in the version of Disk Utility that gets installed with El Capitan. So, what you can do is download the excellent freeware program Onyx, and you can use it to Repair Permissions. As oldscribe mentioned, you need to run that at least 2 times. You can get Onyx from here:

http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html

Make sure you get the first one on that list, version 3.1.7. You can (and should) run it "directly", ie, without needing to run it externally. It also has some other useful features that you can use to do some disk cleanup.

Last edited:

Ask a Question