MacBook won't connect to IP camera

Reaction score
I'm trying to set up a Hikvision IP security camera from my MacBook Air (Catalina), but simply can't get the two to talk to each other. Connecting via ethernet with a Thunderbolt adaptor and "Using DHCP with manual address", I eventually get a "Connected" status for about a minute, but then it reverts to "Cable Unplugged" and "Either the cable for Thunderbolt Ethernet is not plugged in or the device at the other end is not responding". Even while the connection is working, the vendor's setup tool will only see the camera for a brief moment, if at all.

It makes no difference whether the firewall is on or off. My reseller has managed to get it all to work fine from a Windows PC, with my ethernet cable.

Where should I go from here? It's doing my head in.

Many thanks
Andy

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I am not familiar with Hikvision products.

-Which model is the camera?
-Which brand/model is the Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter?

Honestly, it may be best to contact Hikvision support directly, as they would probably have the best information regarding Mac-compatibility. But, we'll give it a shot.

C

Ask a Question