MacBook Pro Installer Not Recognizing My Password

Reaction score
Hello,

My apologies in advance if this problem was already posted. I didn't notice it in my search.

I have a refurbished 2018 MacBook Pro that I recently started using. OS Catalina 10.15.4
I just downloaded software from Zoom for a meeting tonight. When I went to install it,
the Installer window opened requesting my Password. When I typed in what I thought was the
correct password, it would not accept it.

I could swear it was the right one. After a trying a few other variations of what I thought it might be,
I gave up and decided to just change my password into a new one. I went back to install Zoom again, and it still
would not accept it.

I went into the Mac App Store to test out the new password. When prompted, I entered the new one and it worked.
Any idea what could be the problem? I'm going crazy trying to figure it out. I discovered that I don't have to
install the Zoom App in order to join a meeting, but I obviously need to get this situation resolved so I can
download future software. Would appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks in advance!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

First off, where did you download the Zoom installer from? If not from the Zoom website, it could be corrupted or have malware/viruses embedded in it.

Also, try downloading other software from a reputable website, and see if the password works with its installer.

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory. Thanks for responding. Yes I did download it directly from Zoom. I discovered I
am able to download from the Apple Store which is good, but of course I still want
it to work should I require software outside of Apple. I'll have to dig around and see what
reputable websites I can find to test out downloading other software. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hey Cory,

I just attempted to install and download FinalCutProX from the Apple website. There's a free
90 day trial. But the same thing happened that I told you about earlier.
I was able to download it but the installer is not accepting my password. :( Can you please
offer any suggestions? Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

-Are you entering your Apple ID password, or the password for your account on the Mac?
-Is the Caps Lock on by chance?
-Does your Mac automatically login when you restart or power on, or do you have to enter a password?

C

Reaction score
Hmmm.. that's a good question. I think maybe I'm getting the two confused.
I am entering the password I updated yesterday. I thought maybe that's what I
had to do since it wasn't accepting it. I went into Users and Groups and changed it there.
The new password allowed me to get access into the Apps store yesterday.
So is THAT password actually the admin password for the account on my Mac
and not the Apple ID password?

Caps not lock is not on.

I don't use a login when I power on so... no password is needed.

Thanks Cory.

Reaction score
Hey Cory,

Something's come up and I won't be able to check back again until tomorrow. I am assuming
I may need to contact Apple to reset the password. I know that my Apple ID is my
email address I set it up with. If you happen to have any other suggestions would
appreciate anything you have to offer. Thanks so much for your time. I'll check back
tomorrow. Have a good evening.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

The password in Users & Groups is your user account on the Mac. When you change it, you should always restart immediately to make sure it applies to the Mac and the Keychain.

Your Apple ID is what you use to login to iTunes, Apps Store, and iCloud. It is normally different than your Mac user password. In Users & Groups, see if you have Allow user to reset password using Apple ID enabled.

Change or reset the password of a macOS user account

C

Reaction score
Thanks Cory. After your last post I remembered the difference. Duh. (Brain is a little foggy after all these weeks!) But trying to figure this out will certainly be a good work out for it! Will give it a go and keep you posted. Much appreciated.

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm more confused now - if that's possible.

I’ve been playing around with this for the past few hours and not getting anywhere.

I have OS Catalina so some of the windows I notice of Users and Groups on the help pages, doesn’t look exactly the like mine. Don’t know if the type of OS has anything to do with it. Maybe it’s because I can’t unlock the lock as it needs the password.

In Users & Groups I have my name and Admin selected. When I click on the lock, a screen appears requesting my password which of course I don’t have. I am able to click on and open the change password option on the right side of my name, but it’s also asking for the old password. I have no idea what I did yesterday. I could have sworn I was able to change the password but that wouldn’t be possible if the old password was needed. What I am certain of, is that I did not restart the computer as you indicated was necessary.

Also, below where it reads Contacts Card, the “Allow user to administer this computer” is checked off but it’s faded in. That’s all it says there.

Thanks for the help link. I went through the self help list but most didn’t apply to me - I don’t have a login window, and I’m the only admin on my computer. Haven’t tried FileVault. I have it off, but I see on my screen that it requires.. guess what - the password!

Man, this is tougher to get into than Fort Knox!

Should I consider changing the password from Recovery Mode? Found the following on YT. Is it safe? Will I lose anything? Thanks for your continued help and patience Corey.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Now you see how security-focused Apple is! ;)

-FileVault - I don't recommend using it
-You do have a login password (your Mac user account password), but your Mac is set to automatically login, which is why you don't see that prompt

Yes, you can definitely use the technique in the video. You won't lose any data by doing those steps. Of course, it is always wise to have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data.

And, make sure you write down what you use as your new password temporarily, until you make sure it is working. ;)

C

Reaction score
Yes Indeed! Okay Corey. Sounds good. Will give this a go later today when I have more time to concentrate.
Will let you know. Thanks again. :)

Reaction score
Hey Corey,

Happy to report that I was able to reset my password! It was really quite simple actually. I made myself far more anxious than I needed to! ;0. Thanks for your input. Of course I now need to backup my data. I do have an external HD but since I have a 2018 MacBook Pro, I no longer have all those ports to plug in my external devices. I'm getting involved with video editing, so I want to make sure I have everything set up properly. The whole Thunderbolt concept confuses me. I ordered a hub on eBay from Andobil. Unfortunately, I have to return it because it's not responding at all. Seems to be a complete dud. Anyway, that's where my next step is. Backup and then learn FinalCutProX. Once I get a trustworthy hub, I can hook up the external HD and start backing up my files, and then start playing around with video footage. Hope you're having a great day. Thanks again!

Ask a Question