Macbook Pro 3.1 2.4ghz core 2 duo, 15" Install issue

Reaction score
Im having some issues getting OSX installed on this machine, It stops during boot from dvd/usb with waiting for root device.
I tried 10.5 10.48, 10.6.

Installing windows and booting that work fine, But OSX install do not work.
I got this macbook as a dead machine, with no accesory and no harddrive, machine is repaired, and has a 120 gb SSD now, but no recovery partition.
I dont have another mac, is there any tips on how to get this up and running? It did not come with the original DVD, Apple told me to get 10.6 but i already had 10.6 and that did not work.
I think the original disc is a 10.4.9, 10.4.8 do not work cause of missing ACPI driver.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Were you able to boot up from whatever install media you have? You would need to look at Disk Utility to see how the drive is formatted, it needs to be Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with a GUID partition map.

Reaction score
Were you able to boot up from whatever install media you have? You would need to look at Disk Utility to see how the drive is formatted, it needs to be Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with a GUID partition map.

I can not get to disk utility. it is the dvd media that stops on waiting for root.
As a test i installed Windows vista and that boot fine, It is the OSX installer i cant get to, it is the install media that hangs on "still waiting for root...", and its not the media itself being bad. we tried different versions.

Last edited:

Ask a Question