MacBook Pro 2014, Retina screen

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro 2014. About a year ago something started spreading on the screen. At the Apple store I was told the finish on the screen is wearing away, caused by the keys after opening and closing the case. First, I use this mainly as a desktop and why is it still spreading? They said the entire top must be replaced, not just the screen to the tune of 540.00.
I am looking for guidance. I am retired so I mainly do email, shopping on line and some documents. Better to replace top, buy refurbished with one year guarantee, or something else?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Do you use any cleaning fluids that have ammonia like Windex, or are you using a cleaner that is safe for the ratings on Mac screens and eyeglasses like Screen Mom?
-Can you upload a photo or two of the issue?
-They should be able to replace just the display assembly (aluminum back case/display/front glass in one piece) and not the top case w/keyboard. That price sounds about right.

Honestly, if you don't use it other than as a desktop, you could just buy an inexpensive monitor/adapter/cable and a mouse/keyboard and use it as a desktop:
Use your Mac notebook computer in closed-display mode with an external display

You could probably do that for about a 1/3 or less of the cost of that repair.

C

Ask a Question