mac os x 10.5.8

Reaction score
hi think my mac is just too old! but i need a few more months out of it (in grad school) any advice please on upgrading? I can't see live webcast (important for me), get skype anymore (live abroad for school) and pretty much all programs crash my comp, word, power point, safari, iphoto. Everything i use on a daily basis. what is the average age of a laptop? thanks

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
What exactly do you have? Click the Apple in the upper left of Finder & choose "About This Mac" to see the specs of your laptop.

Reaction score
Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
does that help?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Upgrade to Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. Your MacBook will also run better with more RAM. You shouldn't have any issues with Skype or webcasts.

Pre-Installed MacOS: X 10.5.2 (9C2015)
Maximum MacOS: X 10.7.5*

Details: *This system can run the last version of OS X 10.7 "Lion." It is not supported booting into 64-bit mode when running Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard." It does not support "OpenCL" either. Please also note that OS X Lion is not capable of running Mac OS X apps originally written for the PowerPC processor as it does not support the "Rosetta" environment.

Standard RAM: 2 GB
Maximum RAM: 6 GB*
Details: 2 GB of RAM is installed as two 1 GB modules, no slots free.

*Apple officially supports a maximum of 4 GB of RAM but third-parties have been able to upgrade the system to 6 GB of RAM using one 2 GB and one 4 GB memory module.

Have a good look at this, it has all the info you need regarding the max RAM/max Mac OS X version your MacBook will take:

Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 13" (Black-08) Specs

You'll also need to read this regarding upgrading from 10.5.8 to 10.7.x:

Mac App Store/Mac OS X 10.5.8

To upgrade to Lion you need the App Store which lets you purchase & download the Lion installer over the internet.

System requirements for OS X Lion and Mac OS X v10.6

Ask a Question