Mac hanging every 10-30 minutes or so. Help?

Reaction score
A very specific line has been showing up in my system.log:

Jun 19 18:41:01 bobs-imac SystemUIServer[143]: /SourceCache/SpotlightUI/Spotlight-627.37/menu/Models/MDQueryWorker.m __+[MDQueryWorker startQuery:withOptions:]_block_invoke_1 Can't execute query 'InRange(_kMDItemGroupId,8,8)': Undefined error: 0

It was mostly un-noticable, just a little hang here and there, but it started being extremely noticable and annoying whenever I was dual-boxing Eve Online (running 2 clients) usually one client would hang/freeze so I had to force quit it, and the rest of the computer would freeze up as well for a few minutes, and once it even caused a kernel panic.

So anyway, the strange thing about it is that my spotlight has been disabled the entire time. I've been using alfred because my spotlight may have been causing issues before. But just today, I decided I'll see if deleting some things, re-indexing, disabling alfred and turning on my spotlight would solve the issue.

It seemed to be running alot smoother, but I'm still getting the issue. Now the line has changed:

Jun 19 22:52:06 bobs-imac SystemUIServer[147]: /SourceCache/SpotlightUI/Spotlight-627.37/menu/Models/MDQueryWorker.m __+[MDQueryWorker startQuery:withOptions:]_block_invoke_1 Can't execute query '(* = "c*"cdw || kMDItemTextContent = "c*"cdw)': Device not configured

Still points to the same place and still very much the same line, but slightly different. I've tried verifying my hard drive, searching google, and looking for the file it's pointing too (which I can't seem to find) but nothing is working. I'm on lion 10.7.5 and i don't have the install disk... So hopefully I don't need a clean install to fix this. If someone could help it would be great. still hanging when I try to play more resource intense games making them nearly un-playable. Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Do a Safe start then a normal restart.

Safe start is a a restart with Shift held down.

Reaction score
Thanks, I just did it and the computer is re-indexing now... I'll update in the morning after using it a bit to see if the problem went away.

Ask a Question