Mac file sharing issue

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I wonder if anybody has any advice for an problem I'm having at work.

I am having an issue with a few macs sharing files between each other on a file server.

If [Mac A] saves a file on it's desktop then copies that file to the share [Mac B] can see the file but it is greyed out and cannot open the file (permissions are fine). The file states the correct creation date but the last modified date is 24 January 1984 and I feel this is the issue which is stopping [Mac B] from opening the file.

The only way to fix the issue is [Mac A] will have to reopen the file (from the share) and save it with an alternative name then [Mac B] will be able to open the file. Obviously this shouldn't be occurring and isn't practical at all.

I have also checked the file properties from a windows machine and the modified date is correct, seems like a weird Mac bug!. Both are modern iMacs are using OSX 10.10.3, the problem isn't isolated between these two macs and is happening between 6+ Macs.

I have attached a screenshot and if you require any more information just let me know.

windows_mac.png

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions as this problem is really blowing my mind!
Tom

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

That is very strange indeed. A few questions:

-Where is the share - a network (NAS) drive, another Mac's Shared folder, a file sharing computer on the network, etc.?
-Does the issue occur when a file is copied from any of the Macs - i.e. if Mac B copies a file to the share and Mac A tries to open it?
-Did this issue just start?

C

Reaction score
Hello Cory, thank you!.

The share is just a shared folder on a windows server, it has always worked seamlessly in the past. I've just been doing some more testing and it seems to just be a Yosemite only issue as the files appear fine on older versions of OSX.

I've only been notified about this issue since upgrading to 10.10.3 so surely it must be a bug within this version (Damn Apple!)

No matter what mac copies the file (Yosemite or older) the ones on the newer OS experience this bug.

Not sure what to do apart from rolling back OS or waiting for an update, I imagine I can't be the only person with this issue in the world, haven't seen anything online similar

Thanks
Tom

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional info. I would wait for the impending 10.10.4 Yosemite update. Apple is reverting back to on older version of their networking framework, since there have been so many issues with it in Yosemite. Maybe that will correct this issue as well.

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Apple released the Mac OS X 10.10.4 Update this afternoon. Let us know if that corrects this issue.

C

Ask a Question