M1 Networking - poor, poor, poor!

Reaction score
I have three iMacs connected to my router. All Intel, all running at full network strength (~350mbps). All are wired to the router. I have now replaced one with an M1 Mac Mini. The connection is as slow as <insert word here>! Wireless barely reaches 50mbps download, although it has gone down as low as 10! Upload speed remains a steady ~30mbps as has always been the case. Network stability is also a major issue. Wireless connection to the Mini from my other machines is slow and unreliable; as it's in another room, I can't connect directly via ethernet, but I bought some powerline adaptors, which 'promise' speeds around 1gbps, but my standard connection speed is way below that anyway. Either way, this is unworkable. Is this down to the router (Hub3) or network settings? Connection between the machines is easy enough to do; it's the speed and stability that's the issue.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I also have an M1 Mac mini, and it is the fastest Mac on my Gigabit Ethernet network. Wi-Fi has always been slower in my experience. As you stated, my 400 Mbps (down)/12 Mbps (up) Internet connection is much slower than my network, and does even fluctuate down to ~100 Mbps depending on the time of day.
  • Are you running a Virgin Media Hub 3 router?
  • What are the other Mac models/macOS versions?
  • Do you have IPv6 enabled by chance?
  • What type/length of Ethernet cables - Cat 5, Cat 5e, Cat 6, Cat 6a, etc.?
C

Reaction score
Not entirely on topic, but I recently invested in a WiFi 6 mesh network and the wired and wireless speeds are the same. On a 500mb ISP connection I am getting 453 down and around 12 up using wireless. This is on a 2021 24” iMac M1. Would be nice to have a synchronous connection but Spectrum is all I can get…

Ask a Question