Lost password for Apple Mail e-mail account.

Reaction score
My e-mail account in Apple Mail will not accept my password and so I cannot see my e-mails. Is there a way that I can either retrieve or change my password so that I can access the account? I suspect that there is an easy fix but I confess that I can't find it. Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X?
-Which version of Mail?
-Who is the email account from - i.e. Yahoo, Gmail, etc.?

C

Reaction score
OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6
Mail version 9.3
I have no idea who the email account is from. How can I find out?

Reaction score
OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6
Mail version 9.3
I have no idea who the email account is from. How can I find out?

Click on System Preferences, then click on "Internet Accounts". You should then see, in the left hand column, which accounts are setup for Mail, Contacts, etc. Myself, although I use Outlook 2016 for my "primary" EMails, it shows Comcast, which is the "service" I use to access most of my EMails. I could also setup GMail and Hotmail with Outlook 2016, but I prefer to see EMails from either of those services via my browser.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Click on System Preferences, then click on "Internet Accounts". You should then see, in the left hand column, which accounts are setup for Mail, Contacts, etc. Myself, although I use Outlook 2016 for my "primary" EMails, it shows Comcast, which is the "service" I use to access most of my EMails. I could also setup GMail and Hotmail with Outlook 2016, but I prefer to see EMails from either of those services via my browser.

Yes, I have done that several times. It does show that my gmail e-mail account is through Google. But it doesn't show who sponsors my other e-mail account. It only shows the name of the account, which is my name. Thanks for trying.

Devon

Ask a Question