Keychain problems for OSX mavericks, driving me mad!

Reaction score
Hello, great forum, glad I found it! I am being asked to provide a new keychain password but on my OSX 10.9.5 laptop it does not allow me to change the password or use my new password. I did some research online and was advised to go to Keychains Repair Tool by opening Keychain from you Utilities folder, then from the menu bar choose Keychain Access, then Keychain First Aid.

I went into the applications/utility folder and called up the keychain page however on the page there is no keychain access, or first aid or preferences or login password updates.

Please see the pictures below of what comes up. How do I update the password so I can update my keychain as it is driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance:)

keychain1.png
leychain2.png

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

You don't actually have a user login keychain, which is why you are getting that error. Since you don't have one called login, either click File > New Keychain... and follow the directions, or click Reset to Defaults button as shown in your Google Chrome screenshot and enter the password you use to login or make changes to your Mac. Then, immediately restart your Mac. Wen you login again, it will unlock the login keychain you just created and allow you to save passwords and data to it.

Let us know if that doesn't work.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

You don't actually have a user login keychain, which is why you are getting that error. Since you don't have one called login, either click File > New Keychain... and follow the directions, or click Reset to Defaults button as shown in your Google Chrome screenshot and enter the password you use to login or make changes to your Mac. Then, immediately restart your Mac. Wen you login again, it will unlock the login keychain you just created and allow you to save passwords and data to it.

Let us know if that doesn't work.

C
@Cory Cooper
Thanks so much for your answers! I have tried the first step of File > New Keychain and it allowed me to do this and create a new password. However I tried and my passwords were still not being saved. I then quit Chrome and when promoted by the Reset to Defaults I clicked reset and put in my log in password. Then a prompt for a Local Items keychain password came up but when I put in my password again it was not recognised!

However I canceled that and it then did another prompt for a new password, something it had not done before and I managed to change it! No idea what I did but I suspect it was following your steps which made it happen, maybe it just needed time to readjust after I had created the new keychain? Either way thanks so much, god it was driving me mad!

Reaction score
Update! Sorry my passwords are saving which is great. I am still getting this message, even when I put the password in it still pops up every so often, very strange. I restarted the Mac but still there.

Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 14.20.15.png

Reaction score
Yeah these bloody hints keep coming up, they go away when I put in the password and then come back about 15 minutes later or if I close and reopen my mac. Address Book Sources Sync and CalendarAgent are the culprits, everything else seems fine!

Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 16.42.45.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 16.13.09.png

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Sounds like the keychain is set to lock, thus prompting you to enter the password again.

Keychain Access > Edit > Change Settings for Keychain "login" > uncheck both Lock checkboxes, click Save.

See if it continues.

C

Reaction score
Thanks Cory, I will try this and keep you posted. I really appreciate the time you are taking to help with this:)

Reaction score
Sounds like the keychain is set to lock, thus prompting you to enter the password again.

Keychain Access > Edit > Change Settings for Keychain "login" > uncheck both Lock checkboxes, click Save.

See if it continues.

C

Hi Cory, this worked perfectly! I have had no more messages and all passwords remembered. Thanks veyr much for your advice and have a great Xmas:)

Ask a Question