Keyboard and mouse weirdness

Reaction score
Hi,
Some very strange things happening with my mac keyboard and mouse.
Mac Pro (mid 2010), 10.13.3 (updated from 10.12.6 yesterday)

I have nothing wifi or bluetooth and they are always off.
My keyboard and mouse are a year old.

For the past 3 weeks my keyboard stops working after about 30 mins.
First thing to stop is the ability to use short cuts for cut, paste, undo etc. then i can't type anything at all.
at the same time when i click my mouse in a text field nothing happens.
if i click on a program icon instead of opening the program it opens the programs location in finder.
all i can then do is force quit all programs and shut down.

i have tried resetting pram, smc, different usb ports etc.
i have run a full test for malware using kapersky.
nothing has helped so far.

Has anyone had the same issue before or have any ideas to help?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I assume the keyboard and mouse are USB devices? I haven't heard of this particular issue before, where wired input devices stop working after a period of uptime.

-Are you experiencing any full freezes or hanging?
-Do the fans ever ramp up to full?
-Are these Apple-branded input devices?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory.
Yep all USB devices. Mac keyboard and Logitec mouse.
No full time freezes or hanging but what I've just discovered is if I force quit all the programs including Finder then things seem okay!?
N

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

-Do you have third-party RAM installed?
-Any other USB devices connected?
-Are they connected via a USB hub or direct?

C

Reaction score
I have 2 x 4gb DDR3 ECC installed.
I have a printer and speaker on a USB hub. But I haven't changed anything for a few years.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hmmm...strange indeed.

Not sure why it would work for 30 mins or so, then stop in stages like that. I will have to think on this a bit more and get back to you.

C

Reaction score
Thanks, force quitting Finder and then it's all fine again at least lets me use the computer but it ain't a proper fix.

Reaction score
I have a late 2012 Mac Mini, with an Apple keyboard and a Logitech mouse, I am using OS 10.13.3, and I also have a USB hub connected to the Mini, and my printer is plugged into the hub. I am not having any issues at all, with either the keyboard or mouse. By the way, what Logitech model do you have? I have an M525 (an M325 on my mid 2017 13" MacBook Air).

When you updated to High Sierra, dd you do it "in place", ie, basically just let High Sierra overwrite what was on your machine already?

Also, have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? You can do a good amount of disk cleanup on your own, and there are some excellent programs available (both free and commercial) that can help you with those tasks.

And, if you are using any third party applications, did you insure that they are compatible with High Sierra? This link can help you with that:

https://roaringapps.com/apps

If you have done very little (or none) disk cleanup, etc., it might be better if you do a clean installation of High Sierra. But that will require a backup, and preferably one made with either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Reaction score
Hi honestone,

This problem started out of the blue about 4 weeks ago, I only updated to High Sierra a couple of days ago hoping it might solve the problem but nothing has changed.
I have used Onyx before, correct version for OS, but it always freezes trying to repair permissions

Last edited:
Reaction score
I also use Onyx (along with Tech ToolPro, and occasionally some other free (and excellent) products). The correct version of Onyx for High Sierra, V3.4.3, no longer includes the Permissions Repair feature. From what I remember, that feature was also dropped in an earlier version of Onyx for Sierra, but I believe added back in.

Given that the issue happened prior to upgrading to High Sierra, and that Onyx did not ?help?, that says there is something else going on. Have you tried using Disk Utility to verify and and repair your internal drive? Again, though, for that you will need a backup (you have bene making backups to an external device, right?).

Also, as I requested, what Logitech model do you have? I previously visited the Logitech forum prior to upgrading to High Sierra, and for some Logitech models that depend on the Logitech Control Center software, they would not function under High Sierra, as (at that time) there was not a version of the software available for High Sierra. Hence, the prior model I had, an m510, would not work with High Sierra. But both the m325 and the m525 do not need the Logitech Control Center software, but instead can function with the built-in mouse Preference Pane within the Mac OS.

Reaction score
yep, tried disk utility to verify/repair a number of times.
not sure which logitech mouse, version 31.0?

Reaction score
How exactly did you run Disk Utility? You cannot run it directly to repair your internal drive. Without a bootable backup, you would need to boot to the (hidden) Recovery HD partition and run Disk Utility from there. This link explains how to do that:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

For the mouse, you just need to turn it over, and the model number should be clearly visible. (Where are you getting V 31.0 from? The latest version of the Logitech Control Center software is V3.9.5.66:

http://support.logitech.com/en_us/software/logitech-control-center-for-macintosh-os-x

By the way, that's the same version I was using with Sierra, OS 10.12.6. I really wonder if it works with OS 10.13.3, based on prior discussions I had on Logitech's site.

Also, what about compatibility of any third party software you are using?

Reaction score
Disk Utility I run First Aid which checks and then repairs.
Mouse is UAS144.
I don't really use any 3rd party software apart from Open Office.

Reaction score
No I didn't run Disk Utility from the Recovery position, I'll look into doing that later today.

I installed the mouse driver but during the process it asks which Logitech keyboard I use, as I use a mac keyboard I chose the European keyboard. So after installation the Logitech Control Center says No Loigtech Device Found.

I've updated to the latest Open Office.
Thanks for your help, may Disk Utility will do the trick

Ask a Question