Is it possible to mount an IDE drive from old Win3.1 machine in OSX 10.3.9?

Reaction score
Hello, I've seen variations on this issue, but I never see any answers. I am a professional musician who used to use a PC for composition and arranging work. I switched over to Mac quite some time ago, but my PC died before I could get all of the data off the hard drives. Since I have a flat-panel iMac , there was no room to add an internal drive. I recently bought a USB IDE interface (Vantec model CB-ISAYAU2), with the intent of mounting the new drives to copy off the data. Unfortunately, my Mac won't mount them; it says I have inserted a disk containing no volumes that OS X can read, and offers me the option of initialising them or giving up. Clearly, neither option is acceptable. Booting up in OS 9.2.2 - haven't done THAT in a while - yielded even less success; it didn't even attempt to mount the drives. Most threads recommend running DiskUtility, so I decided to give it a try. It recognises the drives - one of them is 1GB, the other is 210MB (though it keeps thinking the latter is a 2.0TB drive - I WISH!) - but it can't even tell me what format they are, let alone mount them and access the data. The old machine (a 1994-vintage 486 DX2/66 - a REALLY old PC) originally ran Win 3.1 on DOS 6.2, and at one point ran a dual boot of OS/2 Warp (I was young and naive), so I'm assuming they were FAT16 formatted drives, but they may have been NTFS. Is there any way to get my iMac to recognise these drives? I can't afford to buy a PC just to copy across my files, but nor can I afford to lose 14 years of copyrighted material! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ask a Question