Internet connection acting wacky

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm on a 27" Intel Core i5 iMac running 10.9.4 and am experiencing very spotty internet connectivity ever since trying to make use of a wifi booster. It will be acting normally and then all of a sudden the connection will disappear. When I go into network preferences/diagnostics, I notice that 3 bottom items in network status: ISP, Internet and Server will all bounce between yellow and red. Sometimes the it will say "your internet configuration has changed..click ok to proceed." Sometimes it says "your internet connection is working properly" and I'll get all green status but still not be able to connect and when I can, it's extremely slow in doing so. I must have messed up a setting or preference when trying to install the wifi booster. Any ideas on how to wipe the slate clean and get it back on track? Many thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hi,

Was the erratic internet connectivity the reason you went for the booster, also what is its make and model?

Easiest way is to delete your network on the iMacs SP/ networks. Then disconnect / unplug the booster then fully shut down Mac leave for a couple of mins then reboot without the booster connected. The Mac should then find your network as new and because you deleted it, may have to put in its user name and password again.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,

Was the erratic internet connectivity the reason you went for the booster, also what is its make and model?

Easiest way is to delete your network on the iMacs SP/ networks. Then disconnect / unplug the booster then fully shut down Mac leave for a couple of mins then reboot without the booster connected. The Mac should then find your network as new and because you deleted it, may have to put in its user name and password again.

Thanks for replying. I don't know for sure if the erratic behavior was going on before the booster use attempt. I'm in a new apt and the router is further than it had been previously hence the booster attempt. But ultimately I was unable to get the booster to work and returned it. So I'm back where I started. Even tho the signal is erratic, my tablet never loses it's connection like the desktop. And my wifi status icon on the Mac always shows full bars. When my Mac does lose connection, I check my tablet and it indicates a good signal so I'm doubting it's a signal strength issue though it could very well be.

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in a new apt and the router is further than it had been previously

How many devices / apts share this network, as numbers make a great difference.

Unless you are abel to log into the router there is no real way of determining the amount of people/ devices accessing it.

Reaction score
Hi,

How many devices / apts share this network, as numbers make a great difference.

Unless you are abel to log into the router there is no real way of determining the amount of people/ devices accessing it.

It's just myself. I think my ISP just gave me one of the lower end, crappier modem/router models. It's not so far from my office to be this erratic. I may just call them and see if there's some kind of upgrade. I just wish I could tell if it's the router or a change I may have inadvertently made in my network settings that's the cause.

Reaction score
Hi,

I would run simultaneous speed tests IE on Mac and tablet at same time, and write down both up and down results, then check back with your ISP and see what they were offering you.
I also agree could be hardware, just unplug modem and leave for a min then re plug and see if there is any difference.
Also check that it is running latest firmware.

Ask a Question