Incredibly slow encrypted external drives

Reaction score
I am going to be going on a mobile lifestyle, so I encrypted my laptop hard drive and the performance is great, no noticeable effect on speed. However, I bought a couple Seagate USB drives and encrypted them for safety's sake, and they are so incredibly slow. Is this a temporary situation or will they always be very very slow. I get lags of greater than a minute to list directories. It's absolutely unusable. Is there a better solution for security than Apple's encryption? Thanks.

Reaction score
First, let me say that none of my drives (internal or external) are encrypted. Beyond that, what are the rotational speeds of the Seagate USB drives? I have two external, 1 TB Seagate drives that spin at 7200 rpm, and they perform good enough, via a Firewire 800 connection for either of my machines. Also, do those Seagate drives have USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 ports? That will also make a difference.

Reaction score
I don't think the kind of sluggishness wealthychef is reporting can be explained by rotational speed or even using usb 2. I have a similar problem: I'm using CrashPlan as my backup software. It backs up online and to local external drives. It uses encryption. Backing up to a Seagate Passport or a USB memory stick goes at speeds under 1Mbs! The same software and hardware on my Lenovo running windows 10 gets about 47Mbs. I have been unable to figure out the problem so if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

Ask a Question