iMac wont boot. Help!

Reaction score
Hello there,

I am a newbie when it comes to this kinda stuff so I am hoping someone can help me out. My early 2008 iMac was working fine this morning when I noticed the screen flickering as if it was going to die. Sure enough, an hour later, as I was clicking around the screen, it went black. I thought it had gone to sleep but as it turns out, my whole computer shut off. I pushed the power button and heard the apple chime go off and watched the grey boot screen appear. 3 seconds later, the screen goes black again. I can hear the computer still working and doing its processes in the background but after 10 seconds, it shuts down again. I have tired resetting the SMC and PRAM as i've seen on most help pages. It hasn't worked. I've tried rebooting in different modes and I get the same, black screen after 2-3 seconds on the grey boot screen.

I find it interesting that the apple chime works and that I do see a grey screen when starting the computer up but it quickly goes to a black screen and does not want to boot from there on. The flickering at first made me believe the screen had fried but seeing the grey screen for a few seconds makes me think that its something else. I am not sure what the problem may be. If anyone has any idea of what may be the problem, please help me out.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Do you have the original OS X install discs? If so, can you startup with video from them?
-Did you have an other issues such as powering off or hanging/freezing leading up to this?
-Any strange sounds such as clicking, fans running full on, etc.?

C

Ask a Question