IMac power indicator light flashing

Reaction score
my iMac computer OSX 10.6 or 10.8 will not start. After pressing the power button the power indicator light in front lower right corner comes on for several seconds as a solid light, then starts blinking repeatedly. I've rebooted several times and tried starting with several combination of depressing Shift, Control and the Apple key, it still doesn't start up. What does this mean? Suggested soulutions?

Reaction score
Thank you for responding. The iMac operating system is 10.6.8
The flashing light pattern is at first a solid light for about 7 seconds. Then a flash every 2 seconds continuously. There is no change in the on and off flash pattern. I've tried holding down the various keys but no change in results. If I hold down the power button continuously when attempting a start up, I get a solid light, followed be about 10 rapid flashe, then back to the on off every 2 second pattern without a change in its continuing pattern. Any insight on what my problem and solution may be?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It still sounds like a hardware problem...possibly RAM.

Two things to try:
Reset SMC
Reset NVRAM

Also, depending on the exact model of iMac, you could try removing the RAM modules one at a time to see if they may be failing:
Install memory in an iMac

If those steps don't correct the issue, then the best solution would be to take it to an Apple Store and they can troubleshoot it and run a full hardware diagnostic to determine the cause.

C

Reaction score
Thank you again for your reply. I brought my computer to a third party Apple service center. It was a lose RAM connection as you indicated was most likely the cause. They reset it without a charge. tI now works fine. Thanks again.
Richard

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Awesome...glad it turned out to be a simple fix at no cost other than your time. Thanks for letting us know.

Be well,

C

Ask a Question