I think I was phone hacked

Reaction score
Hello-

I'm using a macbook handed down to me by my children when they graduated from college. It has been slower than usual, with lots of rainbow wheelies... I use it mostly for email , internet searches, etc.
Today, it was really acting up. I had finally shut it down for a rest and within 30 minutes I received a phone call, The caller knew my name and said my computer had been hacked. He said he works with a company that could fix my operating system,and named all the problems I had with the computer recently. I was suspicious, but agreed to click on "Safari", and then typed in 'support.me' on the top line. This opened a Repair page, and I got nervous. He pressed me to type in my email address so he could show me all the files that had been inserted into my computer.
By then I was nervous, and asked to speak with a supervisor He and then another worker kept insisting that I move forward. At first they said they could clean everything for free, but soon they admitted I would have to pay $199.00 for two years. I texted my usual helpers, but everyone was busy, so I hung up. Now I'm nervous that they are hackers and will now make things worse. What should be my next step?

Thank you,
Evelina

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It definitely sounds like a scam. They can get your name and phone number from the phone book, an email/account list they bought, or a quick search on the Internet. I am pretty sure it was a coincidence that they called after you started having issues. The issues you are having, and that they probably mentioned, are the most common issues that people have - overall slowness, hanging, Internet issues, etc. It's a good thing that you became suspicious and didn't give them additional information.

I have heard of this scam and similar ones, and as long as you didn't give them your credit card (especially) or email address, you should be fine. They usually pose as Microsoft Support Technicians and try to "prey" on Windows PC users.

We may be able to help you troubleshoot your issues here via this support forum. No one here will ever ask you for personal information, credit card information, or passwords. This is a free, volunteer-run site, which has many experts and technical support professionals within its membership.

Let us know if you would like us to help identify and give suggestions to correct the issues you are experiencing.

Feel free to do an Internet search for support.me scam and you will see many articles about it.

Hope that makes you feel a little better,

C

Reaction score
So that response did make me feel better, except for one thing. When they said they were Tech Support, they said they wanted to show me the corrupted files that had been placed in my email account. They told me to turn my computer on, click on Safari, and then type support.me. When I did that, they told me to enter my email address and I did that. I realize that was a mistake. I didn't do anything further, i.e., didn't give a credit card or password, but I saw things moving as if they were taking over control of the mouse. (I've worked in places where Tech Support routinely dose that.)
When I recognized that I told them to stop or let me speak with a supervisor, and they did neither.
Just wanted to lclarify that.

Thank you for your advice.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I still think you should be OK.

When you saw things moving, were they controlling your computer, or were things moving in the Safari support.me window only? If the latter, then there isn't anything to worry about.

It may be a good idea to change your computer and email passwords, just to be on the safe side. And, if you have an Apple Store close by, make an appointment, take it in and explain the situation, and they can give it the once over.

C

Reaction score
I think they were controlling my 'mouse' (arrow). Then in the middle of the night, I tried to change my Facebook password and requested FB to send me a link. I did that several times and the link never showed up in my Inbox. I managed to change it, but forgot to write it down. This morning when I tried to log in (to FB) I couldn't remember. I started the process again, and the link never cam to my Inbox. The Security Question they asked me is one l don't remember setting up and when I enter the correct answer, they reject it. I'm now using a borrowed laptop. I'm going to set up an appointment at the Apple store, but that will take a while.
Thank you again.
Evelina

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It could all be related or coincidence.

I think it would probably be best to have the Genius Bar have a hands-on look at it to make sure.

Let us know if you have any further issues and how your Apple visit turns out.

C

Ask a Question