How to locate files to clean Main Hard Drive.

Sky

Reaction score
Hi all.

This is my dilemma. My main HD needs clearing out, so I go to finder and look at "All Files" But there really isn't that much in there. So my question is. When i look in "all files" am seeing everything minus apps that is on that drive? because there is a 100+ gig somewhere and I can't find it. . 60 gig is audio and I can't find the audio. I've typed MP3 in the finder 350mb's in there. I could go on an on. . Can anyone help please.

Thanks.

Love & Peace always. .

Sky

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello again,

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-How much free space is left?

Part of the 60 GB of audio may be part of the GarageBand support files, as it "hides" its loops and instruments in the Library folder. However, I do not recommend deleting files via the All Files Finder search, or any files in Macintosh HD > Library or Macintosh HD > System folders, as that could make you system unstable/unusable. And as always, make sure you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data before deleting files to make space.

C

Sky

Reaction score
Hiya. Thank you for your reply. I use Logic X a lot maybe its something to do with that. Question. When I look in the finder at "All Files" Is that all the files? there is 133GB of "Other" files and when I look in All files there is nothing Like that amount of data in there. .

mac pro 3.1
OSX 10.11.6
Free space 25 gig from a 256HD

Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...

Basically, All My Files will only show documents/photos/audio/video in your Home folder. All My Files was removed in more recent versions of OS X/macOS, as it is easy to delete files using it, which can corrupt your iTunes and Photos Libraries.

Yes, if you do a lot of projects in Logic Pro X, those audio files can take quite a bit of storage space, especially if you have a lot of tracks and do bounces frequently. Also, what I mentioned about GarageBand applies to the instruments/loops in Logic Pro X as well.

You could move old finished Logic Pro X project files to another hard drive, to free up space. They should be located in you Home folder > Music > Logic. Of course, it might be good to read through the Logic Pro X > Help > Show topics > Manage projects > Copy and move projects to understand that process.

C

Sky

Reaction score
Thank you for helping. I have another question, In the "Other" data of which I have 133gb how do I get to that? If I could empty that out it would be a massive help. .

Sky

Ask a Question