Hot MBP - Battery and CPU

Reaction score
My 2012 9,2 has recently been getting hot, after I did a complete wipe and reinstall of High Sierra. At idle, never going above 10% usage, what I assume to be the processor (area between the keyboard and screen) is getting hot enough that it hurts to touch. The battery seems to be getting very hot as well plugged in or not it gets very hot and discharges quite quickly. Again this is with no load on the system. I tried idling in Safe Mode and produced the same results.

I have reset the NVRam and SMC multiple times as well.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. I am also using OS 10.13.3 on both of my Macs (did a clean, fresh, "virgin" installation). For my mid 2017 13" MacBook Air (with a 252 gig SSD and 8 gig of Ram), one somewhat "disturbing" thing is that when I check the SMART status of the internal SSD, the internal temperature reading is "somewhat" high (not so on my Mac Mini). The machine does not get "unbearable" regarding how hot it is, but still disturbing. Not sure why, especially given that 1) I keep my machines "lean, mean, and clean", and 2) for each of my internal SSDs, I have over 60% of free space.

Ask a Question