Help? Accidentally Moved Downloads To Trash!

Reaction score
I am still on a learning curve with Mac (still love it!)

I accidentally moved the download file to the Trash - not even sure how it happened. I've tried going back with Time Machine & typing in "downloads," but that doesn't help. When I open the trash, absolutely EVERYTHING on my computer shows up in there, and I'm terrified to empty the trash. I've searched and can find no reference on how to empty only certain files. Is there a way to move the downloads out of the trash? And why does everything show up in the Trash can, like "Devices?" If I empty the trash, will everything on my whole computer be wiped out?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Data Rescue 3 is the best Mac data recovery software available.

http://www.tech-pro.net/data-rescue-ii.html

Looking at your problem again, I'm surprised that you didn't get a pop up waring as the "Downloads" this folder can't be modified or deleted because it is required by Mac OS X.

As Walrus666 rightly points out, open the trash by clicking on it and drag it. the thing is it will not let you put it into the trash in the first place ! (strange that it did).

Reaction score
Hello, if your files are still in the trash, open Trash, then click and drag the files to wherever you want. What do you mean by "everything on your computer shows up in the trash"?

Reaction score
Data Rescue 3 is the best Mac data recovery software available.

http://www.tech-pro.net/data-rescue-ii.html

Looking at your problem again, I'm surprised that you didn't get a pop up waring as the "Downloads" this folder can't be modified or deleted because it is required by Mac OS X.

As Walrus666 rightly points out, open the trash by clicking on it and drag it. the thing is it will not let you put it into the trash in the first place ! (strange that it did).

Thanks, you give me idea not to setting the no-pop-up as a default.

Reaction score
A more complete answer would to move the DOWNLOADS folder from TRASH to the HOME folder (the one with your name). Once there, also drag this folder to the DOCK next to the TRASHBIN.

Reaction score
A more complete answer would to move the DOWNLOADS folder from TRASH to the HOME folder (the one with your name). Once there, also drag this folder to the DOCK next to the TRASHBIN.

Indeed, that would be "a more complete answer", if the only thing in the trash was the Downloads folder. However, as she indicated, "When I open the trash, absolutely EVERYTHING on my computer shows up in there."
At any rate, hopefully she has everything sorted out. :)

Ask a Question