Hard Drive fails to boot

How to Fix Hard drive that won't boot ( (3TB Seagate 2.8 Intel -early 2008)

• Thank You one and all for any help...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Will try all suggestions.....save my photos

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
My 2.8 dual Mac early 2008 will not boot....message says lost boot link after I used mackeeper......how do reinstall boot link please....Kevin

Reaction score
First, what Mac OS are you using?

Secondly, MacKeeper is BAD, BAD, BAD! Once you get back going again, you MUST get rid of it completely!

Third, have you been making backups to an external device?

Fourth, how are you posting on this board? Are you using another Mac? If so, what exact Mac model is it?

Reaction score
Hi,

Totally agree with honestone regarding MacKeeper:( is is very bad software.

Try using macOS Recovery,
1) Make sure Mac is off.
2) Hold down Command (⌘)-R immediately after turning on or restarting your Mac.
3) Release when you see the Apple logo.
4) Reinstall MacOS

Then just follow the prompts.

Reaction score
Yes, you could try and use macOS Recovery. But, two important caveats, in your case:

1. After booting as oldscribe mentioned above, you need to first select Disk Utility to repair your internal drive. Without a backup, though, you are taking a risk doing that.

2. Assuming all goes well with #1, you'll have a choice on how to proceed. If you just do a re-installation of the Mac OS, it will just do a "re-install in place", so to speak, without disturbing any non-OS files/applications, etc. Hopefully, that will work fine. The other choice is to a clean, "virgin" installation of the Mac OS> For that, you would need Disk Utility to first Erase and re-format the drive. But, you would lose everything on the drive (again, you have no backup).

Reaction score
First, what Mac OS are you using?

Secondly, MacKeeper is BAD, BAD, BAD! Once you get back going again, you MUST get rid of it completely!

Third, have you been making backups to an external device?

Fourth, how are you posting on this board? Are you using another Mac? If so, what exact Mac model is it?
Thank you for feedback.....I am using early 2008 dual 2.8 intel mac...... I now know how bad mackeeper is...and have tossed it....I have latest disk warrior....that I used to try and fix with first aid.... but that also says Fugedaboutit.......maybe I will just have t reformat...and salvage 3tb HD.......THAT was my back up drive by the way...... Kevin

Reaction score
As you probably know, Disk Warrior is the best Disk Cleanup/Maintenance/Repair program out there. I just obtained the newest version, and I plan on trying it out soon. TechTool Pro is another excellent one.

Given you have a back up, that should have "stuff" you need. Thus, let Disk Utility have at the drive!

Ask a Question