Google Chrome pop-up message "disk is full?"

Reaction score
Yesterday when using Google Chrome a message box opened in the top-right corner saying "disk is full?" with Chrome logo and additional text (URL and recommendation to install Mac cleaning software) plus settings image. (SEE ATTACHED PICTURES) Now the box seems to appear frequently when using the browser. It won't go away before I react to it even if I minimize the browser window. I haven't been doing anything else after that long enough to say whether the message would appear when Chrome is closed. Before the message box appeared for the first time I did nothing out of ordinary or visited websites that I haven't been on earlier. I don't have a pop-up blocker installed so ad pages get launched from time to time. According to Finder I have 46,5 Gb free space on my computer.

There are no new extensions installed in Chrome, I checked. What this could be about and how should I handle it? The vague website URL in the message and the mentioning of the cleaning software suggest this could be malware.

I'm using MacBook Pro 13" (2016) running macOS Sierra.

Attachments

• diskisfull1.jpeg
    diskisfull1.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 205
  • diskisfull2.jpeg
    diskisfull2.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 201

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

That looks to me like malware, especially because of the domain name in the notification. Since there aren't any unfamiliar extensions in Chrome, I suggest downloading and running Malwarebytes for Mac.

Let us know if that resolves the issue.

C

Reaction score
I downloaded and ran Malwarebytes but it reported the system clean. Nevertheless I just now got the message box again while using the browser.

Reaction score
It seems that even if I am not on the computer, multiple of them keep popping up. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• diskfull3.jpeg
    diskfull3.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 199
Reaction score
On other forum I got advice that worked:
For some reason chrome is allowing that website (87.quarenafius.com or whatever it says) to send web notifications to you. My suggestion would be to use a browser that actually respects user privacy like Safari, but if you really want to use Chrome, I'd check it's settings and make sure websites need permission before sending notifications.

I used these https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3220216?co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop&hl=en instructions to go thru my Chrome site settings/notifications and indeed this website was on the allowed list. I removed it and now I haven't gotten the message anymore. I actually wasn't aware of these kind of notifications.

Ask a Question