flashing folder icon and open firmware page...

Reaction score
Hi! I hope you can help me.... please?!

I have a silver-lightening G4 running OS9.2.2, which came with two start-up discs, one for OS9 and one for OSX. I have always only ever used the OS9 start-up disc until today... and that is where the problem lies. I think the machine is now caught in 'limbo' between the two! My aim is to get back into 9.2 and never let curiosity get the better of me again....

I selected the alternative OSX start-up disc and restarted, but the machine will not restart. It makes the first 'gong' sound and then goes into an open firmware page. I've looked at a number of other thread/suggestions but nothing works (":/tbxi" cannot be found).

I have tried rebooting from a different start-up disc by holding the control key. When I do, both the OSX harddrive icon and start-up CD icon display, but when I click on the arrow it just rescans and comes up with the same thing, it doesn't move forward out of that page.

It won't let me reboot from CD holding 'c' so I have tried the 'shift,command,control+delete' combination but this doesn't work either. It just takes me to either the flashing folder icon or a grey screen with a 50mm size apple in the middle, nothing more.

Interestingly, it would let me boot from the silver 'hardware test' CD (why is this different?) but the tests were all passed no problems found.

I think I need to either:
force a way to launch from instal disc so I can reinstal software and get back to OS9, or
find some open firmware script (?) that will make it reboot from the OS9 startup disc

I hope this offers you enough information on what has happened and what I have already tried, and would GREATLY appreciate any advice or assistance you can offer me.

Many many thanks

Lucy

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Lucy and welcome !

before I suggest anything, I presume it's okay to wipe everything off...I presume you were having problems already hence the OS X startup disk ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Whilst everything is backed up safely in 9.2 (phew!) I would prefer not to wipe everything off if possible.

My priority is to return to OS9.2 as soon as possible. I only switched over to the OSX start-up disc to see if it worked (famous last words) as an exercise of curiosity... I do not want to get to OSX, other than to reselect the OS9.2 start-up disc.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

does the OS 9 CD have a version number on it ?

Is it definitely 9.2 on the CD ?

If it is, then it should boot, try restarting and hold down the command + option + p + r keys it's a bit tricky but possible...

Keep them held down till you here the Mac rebooting itself again...then try rebooting with the OS 9 CD.

regards

Ric

edit: I have edited the typo...

Reaction score
The version number on the CD is 9.0.2, so I have obviously upgraded my OS to 9.2.2 which is what it is running now.

I have tried the 'control+option+p+r' combination and waited for it to reboot, and it just went to the flashing ? folder again.

I tried to then boot from the CD and it went straight to the grey screen with a dark grey solid apple, although the screen has distorted with white horizontal lines across it.

I also have a 10.2.1 instal disc, if that's any use (not that I can get it to launch from that either...)

Ric

Reaction score
Hmmm... as I suspected !

If at some time the Firmware has also been updated...then that CD will not boot the Quick Silver Mac...has to be version 9.2 !

Have got a 9.2 CD ? Where did you install it from ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I just upgraded the existing 9.0.2 to 9.2.2 via free downloads on Apple website... If I manage to find the software online somewhere, even if I write it to CD now it will not have the 'magic C' disc powers and will just be a standard CD which will not boot from disc, I think...?

Is there any way of making the OSX disc launch, as that would be the same version as installed/corrupted on the OSX partition of the start-up disc. Maybe?

Ric

Reaction score
lucy said:
I just upgraded the existing 9.0.2 to 9.2.2 via free downloads on Apple website... If I manage to find the software online somewhere, even if I write it to CD now it will not have the 'magic C' disc powers and will just be a standard CD which will not boot from disc, I think...?

Is there any way of making the OSX disc launch, as that would be the same version as installed/corrupted on the OSX partition of the start-up disc. Maybe?

Thats correct...if you re-downloaded them you can't convert it into the Boot CD...not without having a OS 9.2 System Folder somewhere !

The 10.2.1 CD should boot, are there any scratches on it ? Try it a few times holding down the 'Option key' this brings you to the selection screen where you should be able to pick that CD.

Going back to the beginning...when you first put the OS X CD in, did you actually install OS X ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
The 10.2.1 disc is brand new and is totally clean and unscratched. I have never installed it or used it before, as OSX should have been factory installed already. At least I presume it is, but I can't get it to boot to find out!

I just went into the Apple Menu, went to start-up disc, and selected the OSX start-up disc option, and rebooted. That's where I'm stuck now! Presumably in between the two system softwares...

I have tried holding the option key to get the CD to show as a bootable disc option, but when I select it, then click the arrow to continue, it simply rescans and comes up with the same options again, it doesn't move on from that screen.

Ric

Reaction score
Ahh I see...

Eject the CD...reboot and hold down Command + option + o +f to boot into open Firmware then when you get the prompt...type

printenv

and press return.

Look down the list for boot device and please post what it says...

thanks

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
...and at the top of the page is will say what version of Firmware it is...that will help to, thanks

Ric

Reaction score
Wow - such a lot of information!!

Boot device says:

(e-mail address removed) hd:,\\:tbxi

It doesn't say what version of firmware it is, just 'Welcome to Open Firmware'.
PowerMac3, 6 4.4 8f2

Not sure if that helps at all...?

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks,

whilst I'm having a think...

Can you do the reset PRAM another five times...this should clear the Startup Disk info and allow the Mac to boot normally from the internal OS 9 drive.

Just keep them held down until you have heard it attempt to restart 5 times...

thanks

Ric

Reaction score
Okay, so reset the P-RAM (was doing command+option+p+r) and let it rechime 5 times... now seem to be stuck in a new 'loop' (progress?!) where the grey screen comes down and a window tells me I need to restart (says it is 4 languages with a power icon behind the text panel). I'll keep trying while you're thinking...!

(REALLY do appreciate this!)

Lucy

Reaction score
Yes, I have taken the CD out, tray is empty.

It's still coming to that same dark grey curtain coming down window....

Ask a Question