Final Cut Pro HELP ASAP

Reaction score
So i am working on a Final Cut Video and when i try to render the footage so it is viewable i get this message.
"Render Error: Insufficient disk space. Free up space with the Render Manager and retry?"
But i have tried that and there is not enough? Something is wrong because the video is on a external hard drive with 1.83 TB remaining and final cut is on there too so there clearly is enough space.
I can't figure out what to do. Please give step by step directions on how to fix the problem.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
So i am working on a Final Cut Video and when i try to render the footage so it is viewable i get this message.
"Render Error: Insufficient disk space. Free up space with the Render Manager and retry?"
But i have tried that and there is not enough? Something is wrong because the video is on a external hard drive with 1.83 TB remaining and final cut is on there too so there clearly is enough space.
I can't figure out what to do. Please give step by step directions on how to fix the problem.

Just check that your ext drive is properly connected ... how is your ext drive formatted? An is it connected by USB or Firewire? For example, USB drives are not designed for video ... video needs a steady stream as opposed to the bursts from USB. Firewire drives that spin at 7200 are what you really need. You may encounter additional throughput/playback, etc., issues with using USB.

Just for the record, to check the format of the external drive just select it's icon and then press the  key & the I key to bring up the Get Info window. Look beside: "Format" .... it should read "Mac OS Extended".

Can you please check your Render Scratch Settings in System Settings ~> Scratch Disc Tab. If the Scratch files are being written to your Mac's internal HD then you need to change it to your Ext HD. Select System Settings. click 'Set' and choose which directory you want the capture scratch and rendered files to be written to.

Also, any drive, ext or internal needs to have at least 10 - 15% free at all times. BUT it really does depend on what the drive is being used for ... if your Ext drive is a dedicated Media drive, then you would benefit more by keeping a percentage of the drive free ... On my iMacs internal drive I strive to keep at least 40% free ... sometimes I have to delete some files like movies and tv shows to free up space.

Finally, make your you empty your Trash as anything you trash on your Ext HD will stay on your Ext HD until you empty the Trash. So if you disconnect the ext drive, without emptying the Trash .. the deleted files stay on the Ext HD taking up precious space.

Ask a Question