Files located in /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/MyLibraries/myDocuments.cannedSearch

Reaction score
I am using OS 14.0 on a 24 inch iMac M1 2021

When I open a new Finder window, I get a list of about 1500 files going back for many years that are apparently in
/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/MyLibraries/myDocuments.cannedSearch
Most, if not all of these files I had previously deleted.

If I go to /System/Library/CoreServices there is no folder called Finder.app though there is a file of this name.

When I try to open files shown in /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/MyLibraries/myDocuments.cannedSearch, some files open, others do not open.

If I select a file (which I can open) and “Show in Enclosing Folder” I get a list of files in a location such as
/Users/chris/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/aaFinancial………….

I can open any files listed in this location. I can also delete files from here.

If I go to /Users/chris/Library/, there is no Mobile Documents folder so where actually are these files?

If I select a file (which I cannot open) in /System/Library/CoreServices……./MyLibraries/myDocuments.cannedSearch and “Show in Enclosing Folder” I get a list of files in a location such as
/Users/chris/Library/CloudStorage/OneDrive-Personal/word_documents/old word docs

And I cannot open any of the files listed.

Why are all these files in
/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/MyLibraries/myDocuments.cannedSearch
And are they duplicates of old files now taking up storage space?

If I delete all the files listed, will that delete them as well all the original files that still exist on disc somewhere?

As may be apparent, I do not understand the purpose or workings of /System…myDocuments.cannedSearch and would appreciate any insights of its workings.

Ask a Question