el capitan just installed and sluggish

Reaction score
I have a Mac Pro (early 09) with 266GHZ Quad Core and a Nvidia Geforce GT120 stock graphics card in it. I have been running Yosemite OS until apple closed me out of updating my apple phone in iTunes. I then took the forbidding step of upgrading to El Captain 10.11.6 that’s as high as I can go with this system. Well as luck would have it I’m experiencing a major problem with the upgrade. It starts to boot up normal and then I get a black half screen with code in it. The computer then reboots itself a number of times cycling through the same scenario until finally it catches and loads correctly. once the desktop screen appears it takes minutes instead of seconds to load the desktop. the keyboard and typing works perfect but loading pages is painfully slow. When I go to open another program or website it takes forrrrrever, Any ideas and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Was it a clean install or on top of Yosemite?

Excellent question, Lufbrarunner!

Also, Ed Baker, need some more information:

1. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? You can actually do quite a lot of disk cleanup on your own, and there are some excellent products available (both free and commercial) that can help you with that.

2. Are you making backups to an external device? That task is so, so critical. If you are doing that, what software do you use for that task?

3. How much space is on your internal drive?

4. Did you check the site:

https://roaringapps.com/apps

to insure that all your third-party (ie, non-Apple) applications are compatible with El Capitan?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Excellent question, Lufbrarunner!

Also, Ed Baker, need some more information:

1. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? You can actually do quite a lot of disk cleanup on your own, and there are some excellent products available (both free and commercial) that can help you with that.

2. Are you making backups to an external device? That task is so, so critical. If you are doing that, what software do you use for that task?

3. How much space is on your internal drive?

4. Did you check the site:

https://roaringapps.com/apps

to insure that all your third-party (ie, non-Apple) applications are compatible with El Capitan?
1. I ran disk utility on the boot drive and it came out fine. no issues. Can you recommend a disk cleanup app that might help
2. yes. I backed up all the drives in the tower
3. I have 20.80GB left out of a 240gb SSD drive
4. have not checked out the site but will

Reaction score
Onyx is an excellent one, but you'll need to get the correct version for the Mac OS you are running. Here is the link:

Onyx: https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

You also might want to consider getting a commercial program, like Tech Tool Pro, Disk Warrior, or Drive Genius, to help out with those tasks.

What software did you use for your backups? And how often are you doing it?

That is not that much free space left on your SSD. Can you either 1) delete some files, or 2) "off load" some to an external device?

Depending on your answer about backups, it might be wise to do 1) check out that roaring apps site, and 2) do a fresh, clean installation of El Capitan (hopefully you have the original installer file), and then "migrate"/copy needed "stuff from your backup. That second step will either be "easy", or somewhat arduous, depending on your backups.

Ask a Question