SOLVED Delete forward

Reaction score
On my older desktop computer I am able to delete letters from right to left in a document I'm writing by using the fn plus the delete keys. On my newer laptop that doesn't work. Is there any way to set that up?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Normally, desktop keyboards use Control-Delete (near the End) key, which portables don't have. MacBook family should be able to use the two keys in the photo...

how_to_forward_delete_macbook_1200b.jpg

If it doesn't work, maybe there is a custom keyboard shortcut setup?

C

Reaction score
Normally, desktop keyboards use Control-Delete (near the End) key, which portables don't have. MacBook family should be able to use the two keys in the photo...

View attachment 3955

If it doesn't work, maybe there is a custom keyboard shortcut setup?

C
The picture shows exactly what I use on my desktop. But it doesn't work on my laptop, even though it has the same keyboard. I tried setting up a shortcut but I can't figure out how to do it.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, that combo should work.

Look in  > System Preferences... > Keyboard > Shortcuts. Click each one listed on the left (Launchpad, Mission Control, Keyboard, etc.) and then click Restore Defaults for each one. You will lose any custom shortcuts you may have made.

See if that resolves it.

C

Reaction score
I just stumbled on a website called Mac Keyboard Shortcuts -- which lists dozens of them -- and far down the list is -- BEHOLD -- "Control-D" to delete to the right of the insertion point. Ha!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for posting the solution...one that I hadn't heard of.

Be well,

C

Ask a Question