Copying Files Paused dialog box.?

Reaction score
Hi, first time I came across this new (well to me anyway) dialog box.

I had drag copied a Folder of old old and failing hard drive onto a new hard drive, and it seemed there was a corrupted Tiff or Jpeg image in that folder.
(over 1,000 images in that folder)

it came up with the first dialog box system error below, saying can't complete the operation.

and it made a new 'faint' (like greyed out but colored) image icon of the new folder on the new hard drive.

when I clicked on that faint folder icon, I got the second dialog box offering to continue copying, or keep the stuff already copied...

my questions is , why don't OS allow to skip and report corrupted files.? and is there any way of forcing a complete copy of the folder with corrupted files to the new Hard drive.?

as far as I have had limited use of carbon copy cloner, it only does whole hard drives. and sort of app that would force folders only to be copied.?

my work around, was to make a identical named new folder on the new hard drive, and then drag copy the old files across, skiping the named corrupted file, until I found the next corrupted file. a very time consuming and frustrating way... then having to try and compare folders etc.

also a question as to how good the "Finish Copying" is if I press that button.? and what is the "Resumable copy".? (I am guessing just the same up to where it stopped.?

I am always wary of clicking unknown buttons in dialogs boxes I have never seen before.

regards

Sandy
copying stopped.jpg
Copying paused.jpg

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response.

Normally when you get an error that states "some data can't be read or written", it is due to the file(s) being corrupted or failing drive hardware/bad blocks. Many times this will result in the Mac completely freezing.

Those are real macOS alert dialog boxes, so you can always click Finish Copying and see what happens. Also, you can try copying smaller numbers of files, so you can verify what did/didn't copy.

There are other more technical ways to copy files from a failing hard drive using the Terminal application, which bypasses macOS and does the data transfer directly from device to device. It will list INPUT/OUPUT errors on the files it cannot copy, but the Mac will not hang or send popup alerts, and it will continue through all the files, unless the failing drive is too far gone.

Use ditto to Copy Files & Directories Intelligently from the Mac Terminal

C

Ask a Question