Convert DMG files to ISO files

karazelle

Reaction score
I'm a registered Mac dev and through that I get access to DMG images of stuff from Apple.

Sometimes I want to be able to burn them to disk and while Apples tools and Toast can burn a DMG directly to physical media, PC tools cannot deal with DMGs effectively.

So, to convert a DMG to an ISO file you do not need any third party tools, instead you do this:
  1. Open the Finder window that contains the DMG file
  2. Open Terminal.app from /Applications/Utilities
  3. Position the windows so they don't totally overlap
  4. In Terminal, write: hdiutil convert
  5. Drag the DMG file into the Terminal window
  6. Type: -format UDTO -o
  7. Now, if you are allowed to write to the location where the DMG file resides, you can just drag the file in again, then replace .dmg with .iso, otherwise, you will be safe if you write this: ~/myfile

The file will have the extension .cdr no matter what you name the resulting file, but you can rename it to .iso

Note, after step 4, you must hit the spacebar once to insert a space, then perform step 5 and again hit spacebar once before you perform step 6 and again add a space.
Note also, after step 7, if you did the ~/ trick, you can of course rename the ISO file in Finder to whatever you like the normal way. :)

This is an example of what the line should look like:
Code:
hdiutil convert /Users/mp/Downloads/MyBigFile.dmg -format UDTO -o ~/myfile

Ask a Question