Connected to router and internet, but can't access from network

Reaction score
Hi all,

We've got an iMac running OSX 10.5.8. It's on a wireless network with macs and pcs and had been working flawlessly. After changing their user password, they started having issues with a shared folder. A shared drive on the iMac was no longer available to any of the computers. Made sense... they changed the password, so the login credentials for the share were no good anymore on the other computers.

I changed the mapped drives login credentials on the other computers to match the new password being used, but still no change.

Then I tried to browse the iMac via the network and received an error that the path was invalid. Tried pinging the computer name and it resolved to the right IP address but failed to ping. Pinged the IP address directly and it failed again. I tried this from both PC's and macs and the same result, basically none of the machines on the LAN can access the iMac. I logged into the router and pinged it just fine directly from the router. Rebooted all devices and still can't ping from the LAN through the router to the iMac. Keep in mind that the PC's can ping the other Macs on the network just fine.

On the iMac, the internet works great and everything seems fine. Firewall is set to accept all incoming connections and stealth mode is off. IP settings are static and have not changed, subnets are the same across the LAN. File sharing is turn on and users have been given share permission via SMB.

Any ideas? I'm stumped... thanks!

Ask a Question