SOLVED Change disk partition names on a Mac?

Reaction score
OK, this is VERY frustrating. (I am using Sonoma 14.3.1.) I am unable to change disk partition names on my Mac. I want to do so without erasing the partition. I select the disk volume icon, and it doesn't allow me to change the name in the label underneath. I go to "Get Info" on the volume, and the name is dimmed. Can't change it. Everyone says you just right click on the volume, and that will allow you to change the name. No, it does not.

I am wondering if my problem is that my disk volume permissions are system RW, wheel R, and everyone R. Do I even have permission to do this name change?

How EXACTLY do I do it?

Reaction score
You can do this in the Disk Utility App.

On the left select the volume, and then on the right side you should be able to select the name and change it.

If you are unable to change the name, you may have to unmount and then remount the volume and then try again.

Reaction score
Nope. I select the volume on the left side, as described, but on the right side the name (in large font at top) is dimmed, and cannot be changed. Now, I'm using Sonoma 14.3 (APFS), and under the disk name in Disk Utility it says "APFS Volume Group • APFS macOS 12.6.8"
Is this external disk not formatted properly for my current OS?

Reaction score
In Disk Utility under the View Menu select Show All Devices. On the left side you will see the Drive name, Seagate, WD, etc... Then under that you will see Container. Under the container are the volumes. When you select a Volume you should be able to change the name.

If you are unable to change the name then in Disk Utility Right click on the Volume to Unmount it. The Right Click on the volume, and Mount it. You should now be able to change the name.

Reaction score
Thank you! Unmounting an remounting as described did the trick. I can now easily change the name.

Ask a Question