SOLVED Cardbus to USB adapter - need help identifying port

Reaction score
Hello, I've been trying to find a solution to a computer-related problem and I was hoping someone here could help.

I bought a Macally Cardbus to USB adapter from ebay only to find that a USB drive doesn't fit in the port.

After doing some research, I found that the adapter originally came with an additional piece that plugs in the end that apparently converts it to a couple of USB ports.

I need help identifying the port in the picture below so I can try to find a suitable adapter wire. The USB drive underneath the adapter is for size reference.

IMG_3057.jpeg

Reaction score
I had one of these for my old G3 Pismo MacBook Pro. There was a cable that came with the adaptor that plugged into that port and had 2 USB ports on it. See image below.

mcally cardbus.jpg

If this is the card that you have, you may want to contact the seller to see if they have the cable.

Reaction score
Yep, that's the one. I've tried contacting the seller but they never replied.

I searched ebay for another one but every single one was missing the cable for some inexplicable reason, so I was really hoping someone could tell me what kind of port that is (assuming it's not proprietary).

I'm trying to get a file off of an old computer that has no built in usb ports, the internet won't connect, and the dvd drive says there's no burner, so this is kind of a last resort.

Reaction score
That port is most likely proprietary.

what model computer are you trying to get the file off of?

Reaction score
The hard drive in the old G3 PowerBooks from that era used ATA drives formatted as HFS. If you have another computer that is running Mac OS X 10.14 or earlier then all you need would be an ATA/IDE to USB cable such as this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BIE996S

The Hard Drive is easy to remove. There should be 2 latches above the keyboard that you slide and then pull the keyboard up. The hard drive is easily removed once you lift the keyboard.

Ask a Question