Cannot delete a network share logon for Windows 8.1

Reaction score
Macbook Pro early 2015. OS-X Yosemite 10.10.4 networked to Windows 8.1
I am new to Mac and require assistance please.
Share from Mac to Windows is fine.

I set up to share Windows to mac. When logging onto the Windows server from 'Finder>Go>Connect to Server' I entered smb://computer name, then added it to favourite servers. I then connected with the user name which had to be the Windows log on which is an Outlook email address followed by the Windows log on password. I selected for the password to be saved.
It appeared in the keychain list with all details correct and it logged on correctly and shared.

I entered this item in 'Users & Groups>login Items' expecting this to now auto log on as had worked with my NAS.
However, every time I start the computer the NAS logs on but the Windows PC asks for he password, also the user name is pre-typed but only consists of the name before the '@' in the email address. I have to complete the email address and the password to log in.
I checked the Keychain entry and it is complete.

I made the assumption that the '@' must be causing the problem and so set up a second Windows account on the Windows PC with the user as only the name before the '@' and a different password.
I deleted the original entry from the Keychain list and tried to delete it from the 'Users & Groups>Login Items' but it would not accept the password. (probably because I had just deleted the entry?)
I then set up the new logon as I had done before and ticked for the password to be saved. The login worked manually but again not automatically. When I looked at the Keychain list the item had been added but the details were the original name and password which means that it was still stored somewhere. There was no entry for the new person/password.

There seems to be some cross linking or something. I tried to enter a new Keychain Item manually and received a 'Unix Access Denied' message.
I used the terminal to flush the dns cache with the proper command for 10.10.4 to no improvement.

I have run out of experiments after about four hours and would welcome some advice on how to get rid of the original login data and start again with the new Windows account details.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

My guess is you would need to delete all the references to the Windows share in Keychain, remove it from Favorite Servers in the Connect to Server list, delete the login item, restart the Mac, and then set it back up from scratch. If you have done all of this simultaneously...it sounds like you might have...then we'll have to research it a bit further.

C

Reaction score
I thank you for your response. Yes I have done all those things simultaneously. The oddest thing to me is that it is still finding the network logon name and password from 'somewhere', so it is still stored and I do not use so called Cloud.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
In the Connect to Server dialog, have you done Clear Recent Servers? Also, I believe it stores them in ~/Library/Favorites.

C

Reaction score
Yes I did after researching via Google, any connections there might be. I can see nothing anywhere on the computer where it is mentioned. I tried to set up again from scratch and somehow the same entry appeared in the keychain. I tried to restore from a Cloned system that I had produced, but found that I obviously did it after the event.
enonod

Reaction score
Thank you for your continued suggestions.
There is nothing in the plists that indicate network item they are simply window numbers etc as far as my limited knowledge goes. I presume I could delete them anyway but there are two for programs installed and one for Finder.

Reaction score
Addendum: I have found another bootable clone on another disk from when I used a trial backup program. I restored that and now when I connect to the server the correct name and password appear in the keychain and the old one is gone. All appears to be well except that I need to reinstall a few things.
Unfortunately it means I will never know the cause. Thank you for your attempt to save me and sorry to have troubled you.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No trouble at all. Too bad we'll never actually "solve" it and get to the root of the cause. ;) I will post here if I ever find out any more information about it.

Anyway, I am glad things are back to normal. Sorry you had to revert to those means to get it resolved.

C

Ask a Question