Camcorder connection

Pad

Reaction score
Hi all. I have a good panasonic camcorder. I'd like to link it to a Mac book pro 16. Does anyone know of a cable that will work from camera to laptop. I need one with the four plug leads at one end...( You know the yellow, white n red leads...and black) and usb at the other end. Lots of forums suggesting different options of what works n doesnt. Any help very welcome. Thanks

Pad

Reaction score
Thank you. Sorry for asking, as I'm a computer dummy but is it ok and quite straight forward to use on a MacBook pro??

Reaction score
Yes, easy to set up and operate. I have used it on an MacBook Pro, an iMac and a Windows 10 machine

Pad

Reaction score
Good to hear. Thank you. So many all alternative reviews out there for the same products, suppose you just have to take a leap of faith eh?

Pad

Reaction score
Thanks. The fact it's on Amazon may make it a worthwhile purchase as it it doesn't work I maybe able to return. Someone mentioned the need to have a capture card, does this have this bulit in? Sorry to ask but starting from basics here.

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a cable that will work from camera to laptop.
Depends on what sort of camcorder(miniDV, AVCHD etc), and what you want to do when you've connected it to your Mac(import the video footage?).

Pad

Reaction score
Yes. It's a Panasonic d v tape one. Quite old. Would like to upload it onto the Mac to do some editing if possible.

Reaction score
Yes. It's a Panasonic d v tape one. Quite old. Would like to upload it onto the Mac to do some editing if possible.
Ok. In that case you need a IEEE1394 Firewire cable. That's the only way that you can transfer from a tape based camcorder. USB and Component Video(the red, yellow and white) can't do it. They can't transfer streaming video.

This is what you will need:

There should be a DV Out socket on the camcorder, which is where the small end plugs into. The other connects to the Mac. The cable shown is a Firewire 400. If your Mac only has a Firewire 800 socket, you'll need this one:

Once connected, you should be able to import into iMovie.

Pad

Reaction score
Ok. In that case you need a IEEE1394 Firewire cable. That's the only way that you can transfer from a tape based camcorder. USB and Component Video(the red, yellow and white) can't do it. They can't transfer streaming video.

There should be a DV Out socket on the camcorder, which is where the small end plugs into. The other connects to the Mac. The cable shown is a Firewire 400. If your Mac only has a Firewire 800 socket, you'll need this one:

Pad

Reaction score
Thank you so much. This is what I was caught between, this and the easy cap with the plugs. I will have to get the Mac adapter as it only has thunderbolt ports but I think there is one one their website that should work.

Pad

Reaction score

Pad

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. One further question. The three leads via start transmit s through the tv ok. Do I take it a laptop just works a bit different for input purposes? Sorry to sound stupid but I'm a laptop for dummies book reader.

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. One further question. The three leads via start transmit s through the tv ok. Do I take it a laptop just works a bit different for input purposes? Sorry to sound stupid but I'm a laptop for dummies book reader.
All I can say is that I have used the Ion Video forever adapter to digitise all of my tape based video. It also allows my video camera to act as a web cam so I can record straight to the mac.

Ask a Question