Broken USB Port-Adapter For Thunderbolt (or Firewire 800) to USB

Reaction score
Hello,

Please let me know if this is the correct forum. First post.

Last year, my MacBook Pro (13in, 2012) suffered a fall and now both of the USB ports don't work. I have tried to have it repaired but the guy couldn't.

For reference, this mac has an ethernet, Firewire 800, Thunderbolt, 2 USB ports, SD port, and CD.

I am searching everywhere for a Thunderbolt 2 (male )to USB (female) adapter, or a Firewire 800 (male) to USB (Female) adapter, but it seems that there isn't anything out there like that.

The closest and only thing I found was a Kanex KTU10 Thunderbolt to USB 3.0 & eSATA Adapter, but I don't need SATA, so I was hoping for something cheaper.

Has anyone had this issue? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

If the USB ports don't work, then it unfortunately would require a logic board replacement. I assume there is some physical damage from the fall, or were there things plugged into the USB ports when it fell?

-I haven't ever seen a FireWire 800 to USB adapter, as there isn't any way to convert those signals.
-Thunderbolt 1 doesn't have built-in USB support - it only supports Mini DisplayPort (video) and Thunderbolt (PCIe data), so there aren't any Thunderbolt 1 to USB adapters.
-Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) does have direct USB support, so that is why there are adapters for it.
-The Kanex is expensive, because it actually converts Thunderbolt to USB 3 (which your MBP has built-in) with an internal board, so that may be the best option available.

What kinds of USB devices/peripherals are you trying to connect?

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question