Better Wait to Upgrade to Yosemite?

Reaction score
I just saw this on the site www.macworld.com:

http://www.macworld.com/article/283...-tussle-with-yosemite-over-wifi-problems.html

Also, here is a link that discusses some issues with the update to Yosemite:

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/os-x-y...tivity-battery-life-safari-slow-mail-and-more

The two that somewhat concern me are 1) the WiFi issue, and 2) the battery "problem". It looks like, though, the "fixes" are easy. I don't use Spotlight at all, and in fact, I turn it off whenever I do an OS upgrade.

I of course will first make a SuperDuper! backup for both of my machines to two external drives (as I do every Saturday). I'll do that tomorrow, then upgrade from OS 10.9.5 to OS 10.10, and report back. If I have issues, I can simply do a restore from the SuperDuper! backups.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Regarding my post above, has anyone upgraded to Yosemite? If so, any issues encountered?

Reaction score
Hi honestone,

As you know I have updated both MacBooks 2010 and 2013, both are running fine without any problems as you point out above.:) Only thing I noticed on the 2010 was a WiFi glitch where it sporadically wanted to connect to a FON network close by.:confused: This only lasted about 20 mins then my preferred network became the dominant one that I logged on whenever the lid was open.:D

Only other thing is Safari possibly seems a tad slower (not 100% sure) on both Macs but Opera is still ultra fast.:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks, oldscribe. That really helps.

Since my primary browser is Firefox, the potential slowness of Safari does not bother me. And, for my Mac Book Air, I only use my in home network. I will be taking a trip to Europe in late December (Germany, Austria, Switzerland (Zurich), and London), and I'll be taking my Mac Book Aitr. Hopefully, any "foreign" WiFi issues with Yosemite will be sorted out by then.

Reaction score
Hi honestone,

Safari new private browsing is still supper fast, and I have found no WiFi issues regarding Sussie although I am based just in Geneve (France side) not the German, in fact I was there at home when I did the update the 2013 MB and only found the WiFi issue when I came over to the UK and updated the 2010.

Reaction score
Thanks, oldscribe.

As I mentioned, I don't use Safari. Firefox has been my standard browser for a number of years.

By the way, I visited Switzerland back in August 2010. Started in Zurich (spent 4 days there; nice city), then visited Chur, Lucerne, Lausanne, and then finally Geneva (for 3 days; another nice city). Had a wonderful time. The weather was perfect, the people were very friendly, and quite a bit of the countryside reminded us of where we live, up in "God's Country" (near Seattle, Washington).

We also saw Mt. Titlis (near Zurich), and Mt. St. Blanche (near Geneva). Very, very pretty, indeed! But, with all the places my wife and I have visited, and for natural beauty, the prettiest place (at least for us) is Lake Tahoe, California/Nevada. Absolutely gorgeous! If you have seen the movie "Godfather II", quite a bit of it was filmed there. In fact, one can take a boat tour of the western part of the lake, and it goes up to the home where Michael Corleone and his family lived (we did that back in the early summer 2006).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, earlier today I completed the upgrade on both of my machines to Yosemite, and so far, things are working fine. After the upgrade on each machine, I needed to 1) install the new version of 1Password, 2) install the iTunes update (V 12.0.1), 3) upgrade EtreCheck, 4) upgrade Trim Enabler (I have SSDs in both of my Macs), and "turn" it on, and 5) disable Spotlight (I use Easy Find). About the only somewhat "weird" thing is that when I boot up, I get the big Apple Symbol, but then a horizontal progress bar appears below the Apple symbol, and of course the bar inside the bar moves along as the boot up progresses. The spinning "beach ball" is no longer present. Time to boot up seems about the same, but shut down is faster.

The applications I have run so far are Outlook, Word, Excel, FireFox, and Quicken. Everything seems fine. My "at home" WiFi connection for my Mac Book Air is working fine also.

Last edited:

Ask a Question